1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Players w/ light touch - Allen Hinds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JD411, Sep 24, 2006.

1. JD411

JD411 Member

Hey guys,

Checked out Allen Hinds on the Xotic site and his playing is amazing. He has such a light touch as well. Does anyone know what kind of strings he uses and what gauge?

Also any other guitar players out there w/ light touch, great tone and fluid attack like Hinds that would be good to check out?

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

Larry Carlton has a light touch

I do too, I haven't broken a string in like 4 or 5 years, it's weird

3. JD411

JD411 Member

Lol! Thanks Radcliff. BTW, what guage strings do you use and what kind of distortion/od boxes?

4. radcliff

radcliff Member

Zendrive and Mosfet type ODs are great for a light touch. I know Hinds uses an Xotic AC Booster.

I use an RC Booster > Mosfet Fulldrive > Zendrive in a Fuchs ODS.
    A light touch means you get alot of dynamics and I think the mosfet ODs bring that out.

I use Dadarrio 10s. I dont really have hand sweat ever. At first it was funny, I broke a string in like 2000 and maybe one in 2001, when I still played Ernie Ball 9s, and since I switched to Dadarrio 10s and have never broken one. Very strange! I change them every couple months though.

5. JD411

JD411 Member

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried the Mosfet Fulldrive yet so I'll have to give it a shot. I love Robben Ford's tone so I've been considering the zendrive for a while now.

By the way what type of guitar do you play w/ those pedals? Does the mosfet style distortion work well w/ single coil pups?

6. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I think Carlton has a reputation for being a light touch player because he uses dynamics so well. I've heard him say that he "overplays" the instrument, and when he digs in, his touch is anything but light.

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

I think the Zendrive is really great, especially with a bridge strat pickup or a bridge humbucker. It reacts the worst with a strats neck pickup, but thats probably because I dont tweak it from the original setting I like. he midrange really reacts well to bridge pups, but the unadjustable midrange character of the pedal gives it a real sound of its own.

I wish I had a way to make nice recordings on the computer, I would love to push and help sell the pedals I use and put them in a better light, like the way pedals like the Eternity are around here. I can get any Eternity tone from the combo of RC > FD > Zendrive.

8. JD411

JD411 Member

Do you ever stack the RC w/ the others?

9. radcliff

radcliff Member

I really like the RC into the Zendrive.

The Fulldrive does well with the RC too, but I like the Fulldrives own boost switch in conjuction with the FD a bit better.

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Allen Hinds uses Arkay strings. I think he uses 10's.

Arkay is the company that builds the string winding machines for most of the major string manufacturers. Not too long ago they decided to go into the string-selling business for themselves. They're made in Holbrook, N.Y.......good stuff too.

www.arkaystrings.com

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

No kidding.. have never heard of these strings..:confused:

12. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

The lightest touch I've ever seen is Tim Volpicella. For a while he kept his action was so low I could not pluck a string without buzzing. But he makes it sing.

GHS 10-46s, I believe.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

He is such an incredible player too ...
    Talk about having your own voice ...

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I just had the wonderful experience of hanging with Tim for 4 hours on Sunday. He wanted to jam and "talk about music" - he won't teach, but he was willing to "talk about music" with me. I can't believe I was able to play a note. But I think my brain exploded after 2 hours of him talking about music! :eek:

15. VinceM

VinceM Silver Supporting Member

Another great player with a light touch is John Scofield. I've been a listening to him for a long time but just recently have realized how he can simply use his touch to vary the grind from almost non-existant to quite nasty during the course of a solo.

He is well known for his use of a Rat distortion for his low-gain grind. I recently picked one up and am really digging it for this kind of sound. Although I find it a bit difficult to dial in such a low gain because the gain knob is so sensitive at the low region. But when I get it dialed in - VERY nice.

16. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

I'd say Larry Carlton now is much much different from the LC of yesteryear, before the shooting. Then, he really did have a light touch, now he seems much less dynamic and more BB Kingish. I find it chalenging but rewarding to try and play this way, though you generally need a bit more power bdhind you in the amps with a light touch.

17. AndyFender

AndyFender Member

Allen Use Ernie Ball Strings 10-46.

Andy

18. radcliff

radcliff Member

make that 6 or 7 years :roll