Players who wiggle the neck for vibrato

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by BlueRiff, Mar 11, 2019.

1. ivandolz

ivandolz Member

2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

And how many times can you do that before the set up needs to be redone? I'm having trouble wondering why I would do that to my guitar after I paid a luthier to set it up and adjust the neck, etc.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I do it for an effect on chords like Frisell and Ted. Just shaking the neck for looks seems pointless, but if it helps you feel it then go for it.

BriSol likes this.
  4. BriSol

BriSol Member

I started intuitively doing this all the time, mainly when playing chords, for a slow shaky vibrato effect, or a little warble. Basically, I press my arm into the body while playing in just the right way. I first saw Ted Green do it playing solo jazz guitar and he's the one I mainly associate it with. It is a completely different vibrato than what one goes for with one's fingers really and it kind of produces a chorusing effect. And it especially works well on a telecaster or a tele style guitar.

Telefunky and friend33 like this.
  5. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

It doesn’t materially affect the setup - not as much as the temperature changes to which my guitars are subjected up here in the great white north (last rehearsal I walked there in the snow, and within 20 mins the room was up to at least high 70s ...).

That said, I don’t baby instruments - I once co-produced a recording session that required the piano to be re-tuned after every take :) (Ustvokskaya solo piano works ...).

Telefunky and friend33 like this.
  6. InkStained

InkStained Member

I have a friend who does this with his Les Paul.
    Does this make him such a bad person?
    I won't let my friend play my Les Paul.
    Does that make *me* such a bad person?

7. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Have never done this myself, but here's a nice demo, with and without, using different guitars.

Old Guy likes this.
  8. RLD

RLD Member

It's really not that hard to understand when it's done by a great player.

9. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

Shaking the neck definitely creates vibrato ... Watch Townshend live if you doubt it.

10. drewl

drewl Member

Slide

I learned all these tricks from Townshend.

11. Coldacre

Coldacre Member

it’s kind of annoying watching Daniel Steinhardt do it EVERY time he plays a clean chord.

12. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Ive seen it done. Garth Webber acutally holds his guitar body and flexes the neck pretty hard.

I prefer not to do it myself.

I see it in demos a lot and I think its mostly bs.

13. RLD

RLD Member

What exactly is BS in the video I posted right above...#128?

14. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

No idea. I wasnt responding to your video, just saying what I think of demos Ive seen.

15. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

Knowing you can’t stand this guy made for a hilarious payoff watching from 1:20-1:30.

Telefunky likes this.
  16. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 Member

The more I hang around this site the more I realize the vast majority have absolutely no clue what they’re talking about. 15 posts in you’ve got multiple examples of it by known masters of guitar and naysayers still chiming in 120 posts later. It’s a revelation.

RLD likes this.
  17. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

It's because the guitar is a "thinking instrument" in a society where people have been systematically trained not to think. It runs counter to their programming.

Video examples are of little effect in most cases because the guitar is basically a technical puzzle that requires problem solving skills. As Jerry Seinfeld observed, in today's world everything has been reduced to a simple rating system; "sucks or great". Anything beyond that is ignored.

18. ScratchyPot

ScratchyPot Member

I understand the pseudo-dive bomb neck bend (used to do that when I was a young player, but not anymore), but I have to admit that I can't stand seeing people do the little neck wiggle thing - looks silly to me and doesn't do anything you can't do with your fingers.

Yes, I am a judgmental jerk. :)

19. pinkopotamus

pinkopotamus Member

a buddy of mine copped the move off Belew in the 80s and showed me. I do it sometimes when I'm playing acoustic. I tend to be quite gentle and deliberate about execution to avoid any damage. More commonly I'll bend behind the nut or if "divebombing" use the tuning peg which can be a sexy stage move for a player who is seated if not quite as flashy as wrenching the neck while doing a backflip in assless chaps.