Playin' w the big boys: Terry Syrek, James Hogan Warning: SERIOUS CHOPPAGE CONTENT!!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by HarryJ, Aug 17, 2008.

1. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

K... So...
    It's friggin' rockfest time!
    Marshalls and testosterone city.

Here are the solo sections of J.B's the Pump from a Workshop performance a few weeks ago.

Solo order is: Me, Terry Syrek, James Hogan

These guys both have friggin' INSANE choppage, but with depth to match! A rarity IMHO!

Terry's latest killer CD "AUM" is avail at: http://www.terrysyrek.com/

For anyone here who has not yet purchased fellow G.Pager, James Hogan's CD "True Diversity" I highly recommend doing so... The title very much describes the content! serious information on that one! http://www.jameshogan.net/

An interesting note: Due to a progressive disease,Terry is limited to using 2 of his 4 fretting hand fingers. Still more articulate choppage than most with 4 IMHO

This IS a Wankfest

http://harryj.net/JBWankage.mp3

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

2. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

burning harry! all of you guys were on fire. what's going on with terry?

jack

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx Jack
    Was really a blast... and sans rehearsal or sound check 'fer that matter.

For quite a few years now, Terry has had a progressive disease that slowly causes the loss of muscle control.
    I forgot the name, but it's a pretty rare one.
    So far it has affected 2 of his fingers. Let's hope it ends there
    He has started to relearn lefty, as well as pickup drums just in case.
    He is a dear friend and great guy

HJ

4. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

I had a chance to see both of those guys at the NGW this summer ( I was in Terry's class, great teacher with monster chops) and they are truly great players. I would love to check out Harry's class as well but have a funny feeling I would be feeling real small talent and theory wise.....maybe some day. :)

5. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

wow. :( i'm sorry to hear that. he is a great player and i hope he recovers soon. thanks for the info and for posting harry.

6. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Scorched earth, Harry. Great playing by all concerned. Terry, in particular, goes into the stratosphere.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Smokin clip HJ! All you guys sound great. Nice to hear everyone blowing on the same tune!

8. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

That didn't sound like much fun at all.:)

Drag about Terry...is that him playing drums on his CD? He's scaaary scaaary. I hadn't heard him before.

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Was too fun :)

Not worried 'bout Terry... He would sound amazing with 1 finger if it ever came to that. He is also one of the few I know with absolute perfect pitch... the other being my old bud Jordan Rudess (keys with Steve Morse and Dream Theater)

Not sure if he tracked any drums on the new one

HJ

10. J-HO

J-HO Member

Yikes!!! I forgot that you got a board mix of this Harry. Wankfest for sure! :)

Had a great time playing with you though as always SenSei! Definitely a challenge to keep the old noggin' above water following up you two freaks!!!

Man, that rig I was playing through had some serious delay kickin'! Yowza... Would have been nice to get a soundcheck, or rehearsal, eh? :)

Best Regards,

J

PS- Terry has Focal Dystonia. He comes back each year with less mobility,
    but somehow manages to trump anything I could ever play. :) And he sings like Robert Plant, and plays drums like a drunken John Bonham. Jerk... lol

11. scottl

scottl Member

What up Ho! Sounding badass bro. Wish I could have been there cheering you guys on!!!

12. J-HO

J-HO Member

Thanks Scott!

Would have rather had you onstage pushing us even further into Wankville though!!! :) Hope all is well with you in Jerzee! We're about to get drenched
    down here in not so Sunny, Fl!!!

13. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Very Nice, fellas........

Mr. H, that's some of the most fiery jammage I've heard from ya........nice. Hope you pulled some of that out on the MRK gig you did......Jump Blues widdley-widdley-widdley, yeah baby!

Gotta get over to the new digs for a refresher (I know...blah, blah, blah.)

14. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Wankfest it was... mix was atrocious, but did have it's moments bro :)
    You and Terry really went into the stratosphere with some of those out augmented/demented lines.. I really wanted these guys to hear you both... Next time make it 32nd trips at 220 :)

HJ

15. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Hey thx Jim,
    Man that up tempo jive blues gig was a blast!
    HJ

16. J-HO

J-HO Member

Funny Harry. I felt like my inner "Mongo" came out to play on that one. Screw musical decisions. Forget about your normal phrasing, note choice, and intent... Mongo is now in charge.

Mongo like play fast... ;)

It was fun though, and the after hangs were even better. Hope all is well bro!

J

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  17. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I know what you are capable of...
    Perhaps it's time for some Hogen posts huh? huh? :)

H

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Whoa .. my ears are burning ....
    Let me put sunglasses over my ears so I can listen to that again...

Fantastic blowing going up ... Wow!!

19. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I know it gets pretty wicked
    I mean it is supposed to be somewhat of a shred wankfest
    Not that I shredded much... I'm sort of the mascot :)

It's not exactly the most dynamic example, or in any way indicative of what any of us are about really... Was just plain fun! Albeit the mix really was horrid.

Check out Hogan's CD to hear what he's truly got under the hood... jus' plain major bad boy in every style. Not rocker plays jazz, or jazzer attempts rock... Then there is that friggin' fast country hybrid picking tune at the end ....100% nails it!

Terry is more into the prog rock stuff and is just plain sick... his odd time feel is ridiculously natural.
    IMHO, he is a rare example of extreme facility combined with depth and musicality. In terms of sheer shred, you should have heard him when he used all 4 fingers.

Very proud to call these guys friends... we have polished many a bottle of Patron after a hard days teaching at the workshop

HJ

20. J-HO

J-HO Member

Thanks so much for the kind words Harry. As you know they are greatly appreciated. Especially coming from the Sen Sei! :)

I'll start posting some stuff up here soon. For now, I've got some studio samples of sessions I've played on that can be downloaded from my myspace page. I need to set up a soundclick page or something similar...

Also, I'd like to mention that it's been awesome lurking around on here. There are some really fantastic players, and everyone seems really supportive, and cool. Thanks to HJ, and Lerner for cluing me in to this site.

What I'm really waiting for is the Harry J full length cd!!! Come on man, get on that thing!!! You too Lerner!!! You can afford to take a break from making that fat cash and get to business on a cd!!! ;) I need some new licks to steal!!!