Playing a raga... A far cry from the blues

Scott Miller

I played a duet with a sitar player at a Diwali party this week. We played a raga based on a song (Vaishnav Janato), the sitar player basically showed me the scale, and gave me some Youtube links, and we rehearsed briefly, and off we went.

Well, they say it sounded great, but I was kind of too into it to tell. For a blues player like me, it was something different; a seven-note major scale (minus the two) ascending with a natural 7, and an eight-note scale descending, with a flat 7. Natural 7 going up, flat 7 going down. Trippy. Extremely cool to have both 7ths to muck around with. Not to mention the rhythm. Wow. A short trip to Mars, is what it felt like. I would do it again, though.

jrm

I saw a group play a raga once... sitar, different hand drums, etc.. it was awesome and intense. The sitar player broke a string half way through and changed it still playing without anyone noticing. It was killer.

tone4days

Silver Supporting Member
i would need to change my shorts trying to play in front of a crowd who knew better on such an important occasion

good for you

very cool music indeed

t4d

RickC

I saw a group play a raga once... sitar, different hand drums, etc.. it was awesome and intense. The sitar player broke a string half way through and changed it still playing without anyone noticing. It was killer.
Something that always catches my attention at Indian Classical music concerts. The players will tune strings, tighten drum heads, etc during the performance, incorporating the actions into the performance, nearly seamlessly.

/rick

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Very similar to applying some of the Arabic scales I use for belly dancers ...
Really fun and cool to mess with .. good for you Scott ...

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
lucid, you look very focused...
Good observation ... I truly am ... (sorry the thread hi-jack Scott)
The belly dancer's movements have everything to do with what we play ..
Instead of playing a specific melody ... we play a specific Mid-Eastern beat as requested by the Belly Dancer ...

Then her gyrations dictate our phrasing and accents ...
This sets up a very syncronized performance and endears you to the dancers
Being in sync with their movements holds a great deal of meaning...
It's both intense at times & really fun ...

You can hear some of what I do during the first part of this thread's clip:

Scandalous Mid-Eastern Mutt

Here's the same dancer, on another night,
with a sword on her head walking towards us as we play for her ...

Last edited:

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I played a duet with a sitar player at a Diwali party this week. We played a raga based on a song (Vaishnav Janato), the sitar player basically showed me the scale, and gave me some Youtube links, and we rehearsed briefly, and off we went.
Where's the YouTube links? I played the scale but it didn't sound like an Indian raga to me :D

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Instead of playing a specific melody ... we play a specific Mid-Eastern beat as requested by the Belly Dancer ...
[/IMG]
I know, by your posts, that you are one far-ranging, active musician, and I do congratulate you on your versatility and staying power!

2leod

Re-Member
How cool is this!

I'm just listening to Harry Manx doing "Voodoo Child" and I come across this thread. Harry does the east meets west thing really well - on this one he has blues, jazz and Indian flavours swirling together in a really cool way.

Even cooler! I went to check his site to put up a link and he has Voodoo Child streaming - you can hear it here;

Harry Manx

I have never been in a setting where I had a chance to explore these idioms, but I've been listening to them a lot lately - I guess I'm gonna have to sit down and try some new stuff.

isfahani

Very similar to applying some of the Arabic scales I use for belly dancers ... Really fun and cool to mess with
Is that a fretless Godin you're using for that?

A short trip to Mars, is what it felt like. I would do it again, though.
Welcome to the world I live in... please come back for visit soon! Guitar Players should also check out raag Bhairavi as it's easier to play than most...

Honestly, I've been in it so far for so long that I'd much rather listen to, say, Ali Akbar Khan play 'the blues' than anyone else.

jzilla

Then her gyrations dictate our phrasing and accents ...
This sets up a very syncronized performance and endears you to the dancers
Being in sync with their movements holds a great deal of meaning...
It's both intense at times & really fun ...

You can hear some of what I do during the first part of this thread's clip:

Scandalous Mid-Eastern Mutt
i was teasing you but i can imagine how much of a symbiotic exchange it must be.

'scadalous mid-eastern mutt' is very cool man...

Trending Topics