Playing another Broadway-type show (anybody seen "Baby")...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mmcquain, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

So I just got the call today to play another Broadway style show at the city's performing arts center. I've done Little Shop of Horrors, Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Wizard of Oz in years past (all shows I was familar with from the movie, etc.). This time they are doing a show called "Baby", which I've never heard of before. Will spend some time on YouTube looking for clips I guess.

But I'm always interested in hearing from other guitarists who have played these shows before as I'm still fairly new to this type of "pit work" and would appreciate any advice or tips any of you may have to offer. So does anybody know anything about this show "Baby"?

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Yes I played bass on that show years ago. Edie Adams was the lead (she was cool!). I had two music stands with five pages spread out sometimes. The conductor was a hard ass with magical ears and heard every little mistake I made and fried my ass for the entire run. Hated it.

What else can I tell ya?

3. mmcquain

mmcquain Member

Thanks for the info musicofanatic5... sorry to hear you had a bad experience with that show. I've done 3 of these types of shows before: Joseph & Technicolor Dreamcoat, Little Shop of Horrors and Wizard of Oz. In all 3 of those cases I was given some room to work out my own things for various reasons - Joseph called for 2 guitarist so I played a hybrid being the only one in the band, Wizard didn't have a guitar part so I basically made up my parts to help round out the sound of the band, Horror Shop let me ad lib some blues licks on Feed Me Seymour, etc.

Being as this is a local production and not a touring company, etc. I've found the musical directors to be a little more relaxed. But for Baby we've got a new director that I've never worked with before so I'm not sure what he will be like.

I did download the Broadway soundtrack recording today to hear the various parts... so far haven't heard anything too out of the ordinary. Do you know of any spots that I really need to be watching out for? Any stand out moments and/or any tough cues I might want to know about?
    -M