1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Playing as a sideman for music you don't like?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MikeVB, May 18, 2011.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Do you guys take regular sideman gigs playing music that you don't like or even can't stand?

For me it would be covering Top-40, corporate "Country" but if I want to start gigging around these parts, I'd probably have to play it.

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

yes. but i find that if i open my mind, i can find SOMETHING to like about nearly ANY music ;)

3. mannish

mannish Member

If it was the only way I could make then sure, I'd even succumb to playing classic rock and new country which is pretty the same thing with tighter jeans - I would not do it unless I had to though

4. jhvox

jhvox Member

Someone here once posted their criteria for taking a gig:
    1. Good money
    2. Good people
    3. Good music

If you can get two out of three, take the gig.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Yup.

I was a hired hand at a mega church for a bit, and the music definitely not my thing, but the money was great and the other guys in the band were really cool.

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

It becomes your "job", nothing more.

Your "hobbies" [HO trains, gun collecting, whatever] then await you when you get home.

This sort of arrangement / mindset works just fine....*unless* playing guitar was your passion in the first place; if that is the case, you'll be miserable.

"To thyne own self be true", as Shakespere wrote...

7. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this since most of the songs we play as a group would not be my first, second, or third choice....but when I sit down to figure them out, how I'm going to add my style or contribution, and play with the others, it actually turns out to be fun. Plus I usually end up learning something since it gets me out of one style of music.

8. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

A friend of mine told me this morning that Marc Ford is playing guitar for a worship band at some church in California.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

Mine's a slight variation, but has worked for 30+ years:

Fun

Great Music

Money

Any 2 will do.

10. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

indeed
    Its been a bit, not sure if he's still doing it.
    David Grissom had/has a church gig in Austin.

11. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

my grandpa had a similar maxim:

there are THREE reasons to take your guitar out of the case...

1. to learn something
    2. to have some fun
    3. to make some money

works for me ;)

12. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I learned a long time ago that I didn't want to play music I wasn't into. That also told me to quit being a fulltime musician.

13. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I should've added what if it's music you dislike being poorly-performed by an otherwise nice guy that pays okay or at least gigs regularly?

I'm not touring-pro level myself, but I can play/sing in-tune, on-key, and on-tempo. And it's very hard for me to play with guys that don't. Not from snobbishness, but just execution-wise.

14. germs

germs Member

simply put: i have a price.

i'm a stage junkie.

15. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

how does one get sideman gigs? I can see it in LA, Nashville and NYC.. but are there sideman gigs everywhere? anyhow, if I were a fulltime musician.. it would just be part of the job.. a bad part of the job..

16. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

From what I've seen if you can play any lead guitar whatsoever in many smaller cities, towns, and rural areas there are people always looking for one. Otherwise it's 2-3 cowboy-chord strummers, a bass player, and drum beater.

17. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I used to do the sideman thing. As I became more "successful" I became increasingly dissatisfied with the music I was playing. I remember thinking, in front of about 15,000 people, "Here I am, most would think I've 'made it', and I'm miserable playing this music". So I got out of the sideman thing.

I still make a living playing my music on my own terms. I work about ten times harder than I used to and I'm happier than I've ever been. I still do sessions and sub work if I have a night off, I'm no dummy.

18. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I do 'sideman' gigs strictly to help friends out...most of it is syrupy vocal driven and lounge type singers....it's fun to help them and play in front of larger crowds but the music itself is weak and uninspiring for me....then again, life ain't about 'me'.....so YMMV.

19. teleharmonium

teleharmonium Member

No. I have a non music occupation, which allows me to be as selective as I like about music. I don't like enough modern music to go the other way.

If anything, I see myself eventually taking fewer gigs which would be more about the less accessible side of the music I like, so that the sort of music I am doing now (which I do enjoy) would be balanced at about half of my output rather than practically all of it.

There is a time when a player needs to get as much and as wide experience on stage as possible, but that's not the only way to be for your whole life.

20. MikeSRV69

MikeSRV69 Member

I do sideman stuff any time I can and, unless it is a style I don't play like punk or metal, I am up for anything. I play full-time, so my personal tastes don't really enter into it any more than the type of food I liked to eat entered into my working life when I was a line cook. I love blues, country, and all roots music deep in my heart but I also back up Elvis acts and other tributes like Tom Jones, Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, and Neil Diamond performers. The band I do those shows with plays a lot of gigs in medium to large venues and are all my long-time friends and it pays pretty well. After almost 20 years of teaching guitar, I learn songs pretty quickly so those gigs are not too traumatic for me. YMMV but my approach is to treat every gig as a student: what can I learn by doing this? Plus, I have had many crappy low-pay jobs outside of music so learning a few songs that may not be my personal faves is also not too traumatic compared to my years in the kitchens or factories. I also have to teach music I don't like to students very often. As Echoes said above, life isn't always about me. Peace.