Playing bass as a longtime guitar player

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by HesNot, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I started bass in 05 when I got tired of searching for players.
    You tube is your friend for learning. I started off with lessons from a local guy for a couple months to get me headed in the right direction, for the past two years this has been my main “go to” guy:
    For gear I have finally settled on a Mesa D800 and a SVT4x10 cab (I picked up used) and refuse to play in ANY band situation with less than a 4x10.
    Don’t forget good quality strings make a difference. Other than that, be patient and have fun!

joesnewmatch, Snakum and DarrellM5 like this.
  2. somedude

somedude Member

Same here... although I'm still junk with my thumb and tend to pluck the strings like I'm playing a miniature bass.

ToneGrail likes this.
  3. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 Member

I started learning bass 3 1/2 years ago and my wife got interested a year ago. I went the finger playing route to avoid letting my guitar experience mess with my learning curve. We're also using ScottsBassLessons, which I highly recommend.

ToneGrail likes this.
  4. 5150user

5150user Member

Thanks for posting that. The best songs Cream recorded are totally badass. Just 3 virtuosos jamming out.

I struggled "mightily" learning to play guitar. At one era of time, back in my youth, I finally made a solid rhythm guitarist, and learned enough little licks and tricks to get by on blues and rock guitar. Somehow life got in the way, I lost my chops, and never have gotten them back. I am just trying to hold on and play a little now.

Picking up Bass seems so much easier and more natural to me by comparison. It helps me greatly that I already understand progressions, and that I love to walk a bass. I like to play the same notes octaves apart at times. I also played snare drum and was drum captain in a marching band in high school.

Perhaps I should have played bass all along? Who knows?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Well I borrowed my friends bass - a Hamer cruise 4 string - have been working on some basic drills and watching those Scott's Bass Lessons. Don't have an amp so have been playing through headphones and a POD which works OK. It is an adjustment - working on the 3 finger technique it is really hard to take the ring finger out of the equation in low registers in particular is difficult to work out of my brain. As well as muting which I do naturally on guitar but not as much on bass. Been finger picking exclusively just to force a different approach to the instrument.

Also I've been working on learning a specific song - Honeysuckle Blue (Drivn n Cryin) - pretty straightforward chord progression and I can play it on guitar. Guy adds a bunch of grace notes in various places which I'm having some issues picking up - how do people learn songs (I've mostly learned guitar by ear) but picking up the bass tones can be a bit of a challenge. It seems to help to learn the song on guitar first so I know the chord progression and where the roots are ... but the grace notes can be oddly difficult to pick out ... hopefully my ear will be better tuned over time.

6. Neenja

Neenja Member

Maybe, you're over thinking it.

7. somedude

somedude Member

I found that the three finger technique came naturally once fatigue set in. Immigrant Song is a good example. Try playing it with your 1st and 3rd finger and see how long it takes you before using your 4th seems like a reasonable option.

I don't learn most songs note for note. I generally aim at figuring out the structure and groove, then figure out my own basslines from there.

8. guitarmek

guitarmek Member

In first position, I like to use my ring+pinky as one digit (IE they both stay on the third fret and move together).

9. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Great video. Spot on. Bass is actually a counter melody to the lead vocal line that locks rhythmically with the kick drum. That's at least how I play it.

10. Snakum

Snakum Member

I've been on electric guitar for 41 years but used to bang on a bass here and there. In 2005 the bassist in my band wanted to play acoustic for a few songs so I started switching, using his custom shop Fender P/J hybrid. A bass player in a side project recommended Ibanez SRs for guitarists. So in 06 I bought an SR390DX and started copying rock bass lines while wearing headphones, eventually learning slap and just about every other bass technique and subbing in rock, motown, and country bands ever since. It gets me excited about music again when I pick up the bass after a lay-off. I love the instrument.

smokinop and HesNot like this.
  11. stormtrooper

stormtrooper Member

wtf with the glove?

12. somedude

somedude Member

He has some sort of nerve condition that causes his fingers to twitch. The glove causes them to stop.

stormtrooper likes this.
  13. 3screw

3screw Member

Ha ha, just spent 58 minutes watching the wrong video!

14. jwguitar

jwguitar Member

As a guitar player if I was going to switch to bass I would use a short scale 30' scale bass. That way it's not as drastic of a change for your left hand.