playing bass guitar without amp

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by gottaloveit, Feb 7, 2012.

1. gottaloveit

gottaloveit Member

Hello,

I have a quick question,,I think.. I was going to play my bass guitar through the sound board, in lieu of my amp. I have a monitor close by that radiates from the system and should be able to hear the music as well as the bass. Am I correct in assuming that I can be able to hear, since I play by ear?

Thanks for any help

D.

2. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

sounds like a question for the sound guy. Shouldn't be a problem, but I would try to check with whoever is going to be running the sound.

3. chervokas

chervokas Member

If you're using passive pickups you might need a DI box.

4. gottaloveit

gottaloveit Member

what does a di box really do? stablize sound? would it amplify the sound so it would be audible through the monitor from sound booth

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

running bass through the floor monitors with all the other stuff is not usually helpful to everybody else...

You need the DI box to change the 1/4" into a balanced line to run to the mixer.

I would run direct (it can work okay) but monitor through even a small bass amp if at all possible.

6. gottaloveit

gottaloveit Member

thanks everyone for the advice/help..

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

I agree with the small amp and direct...that's what I do with my keys -- I run 'em into a KC350 which I use as my onstage sound and from the KC350 throughputs to the FOH.

The DI box will convert impedance so you're not sending a high, variable impedance signal to the mixer.

8. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

It depends on your PA and monitor system.
    If you are using 15s that handle 600 watts and monitors with 15s in them with a board that has an EQ, no reason you can't.
    If you are using a small PA that is only a few hundred watts with 12" mains and monitors, you can get away with it if you are playing real small stuff that doesn't require much bottom end
    then you can get away with it.
    The trick with bass is, it takes a LOT more power to move a speaker in low frequencies than high ones.
    Which is why it takes a 300 watt bass head ( if it is solid state) too cover a gig that has two 50 watt guitar amps.

What I am saying is, it takes a lot more power to drive bass than it does vocals. So your PA might handle vocals easily using only a little of its headroom. But you start pushing bass through it and you might not be able to get enough out of your monitors to hear it, and if you are using 12s as monitors you might not be able to hear the bass and at the same time keep the vocals clean and crisp enough to hear well.
    So you could end up with farty bass and distorted vocals.

9. gottaloveit

gottaloveit Member

We have large BOSE speakers(maybe 15s not sure) on the inside ceiling of the church, monitors are BOSE (maybe 12s)... I was contemplating on getting a direct injection box to feed into the input jack to the mixer leading from my 400 w PEAVEY amp. I just want a good sound with the music.

thanks everyone for your expertise help

d.

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

If you are not far from the mixer you probably don't need a DI. You can likely just go right into the board.
    The way they make the input gains on mixers now, DI boxes are not necessary much of the time.
    I would say that if you can run a cable of less than 30 feet to the mixer try it without the DI and just use a 1/4 inch input. The line level from a direct out or loop on the amp should drive it ok. Unless of course it is an extremely ancient mixer.
    Just make sure to start out with the input gain on the channel you plug into turned down and gradually boost it until you get a good signal on the meter.

11. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

Ask the guy who is mixing you, and if he instills anything but absolute confidence, use an amp for backline. Bass gets strange and phasey with too many sources onstage like no other instrument. If the sound guy doesn't have this all figured out already, better to K.I.S.S.

12. gottaloveit

gottaloveit Member

i ran the guitar to the mixer line input on the stage,,,mixer is in the balcony...the bass played good,,,no extortion, etc...however, i could hear only some of what I was playing...i tried to run from pre amp out on the bass amp tnt 130 to the input jack, much humming noise...so this is my update

Thanks everyone

13. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I hate when I go to church and my bass extorts while I'm trying to play. It's all like, "hey man, you'd better give me some money or I'm not gonna sound good." and then I'm all, like, "Don't make me slap you bass, you're in the hose of the lord!"

ex·tor·tion   [ik-stawr-shuhn]
    noun
    1.an act or instance of extorting.
    2.Law . the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.
    3.oppressive or illegal exaction, as of excessive price or interest: the extortions of usurers.
    4.anything extorted

ex·tort   [ik-stawrt]
    verb (used with object)
    1.Law. a- to wrest or wring (money, information, etc.) from a person by violence, intimidation, or abuse of authority; obtain by force, torture, threat, or the like.
    b- to take illegally by reason of one's office.
    2.to compel (something) of a person or thing: Her wit and intelligence extorted their admiration.

I'll just ignore the possability that distortion got autorcorrected to extortion somehow and have a little fun at your expense. Don't take it all to seriously.