playing bass through a fender super sonic

ferocho

I wonder if you can give me some advice about using guitar amps to play bass.
I play both guitar and bass with two bands and hauling my bass amps (ampeg both for the head and speaker) is starting to be a royal pain. I was considering buying a fender super sonic head (60watts) and a egnater speaker cabinet (egnater 212x2) so that I can use it to play both my guitar and my bass.

Do you know if this could work? Would I damage the speakers?

Thanks!

Llama

I wouldn't do it... I have used a guitar amp as a practice amp on my bass, I would never use it at full volume.

Endr_rpm

Better to get a guitar head/ bass cab than use a guitar cab. At gig volumes (your stated intent) you will blow your speakers to shreds.

And 60W won't give you much clean headroom with a bass, but that may be ok for your application. Maybe go with a smaller Class D amp, like a MarkBass little Mark, Genz Benz Shuttle, or GK MB series? Add a neo cab and you're pushing 300 watts at gig levels for ~ $800.

And 40 ish pounds.

Teleman77

No way! The Supersonic or any guitar amp for that matter, can't handle a bass at stage volume. Just deal with hauling your bass rig.

IMO, you won't have "headroom" and if you're running through guitar speakers, you'll blow them.

If you run the head into a bass cab, you still have the headroom issue- if you like that super overdriven sound... I guess it'll be fine.

Don't forget the Bassman was a 45 watt amp.

TheMutt

The tone of the amp would be more my concern. If you ran this through some efficient speakers (as stated above, don't use guitar speakers!) I am sure you could keep up with a moderate drummer. I have an old 60 watt Univox tube amp that I use for small/mid size gigs right now and it's more than enough for me.

Gtr amps I have successfully played bass through: '65 Showman, just barely enough headroom, but got some really nice grit to it! Mesa/Boogie MkIII, surprisingly good sound for bass, plenty clean, but again some good mustard on it! Both of these amps were driving a single 15 "theile" cab with an EVM 15L. The spkr is key for me. Almost any 85-100 tube amp will serve, but it's gotta be a bass spkr.

How 'bout a Mesa D-180 or 400? It's a bass amp but w/ toooooobs (and lots of 'em!) and a master vol w/ their "cascading preamp" deal for playing gtr through. Just bring both gtr and bass spkrs and switch 'em.

Trending Topics