Playing By Yourself and then Playing With the Band

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pablomago, May 5, 2016.

1. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Last night at band practice, I got there early and set up and started playing. I didn't like my playing, my timing felt off and my tone wasn't the best. Then the drummer joined me and I still felt my playing was substandard. The bass player came and it started sounding better. (He had a new cabinet that he was in love with, a Barefaced 1 x 10") The steel player set up and we broke for dinner. The drummer's cousin was there and a friend of the drummer arrived, too. We don't usually have guests at rehearsal. But we hung out and ate.

Then we got down to it. And other then one song, we played about as good as we ever have. I liked my tone, my timing was better, I was coming up with some interesting solos, the interplay between the band members was real good.

What changed? The whole band playing? Playing for an audience? The group mind coming together as one? I have no clue. Has that ever happened to you?

Crowder likes this.
  2. cram

cram Member

yes it happens.
    I know why in certain scenarios - based upon how I feel.
    I enjoy fighting through those and getting something good out of the effort.

3. mannish

mannish Member

extra energy in the room.

Grubgoat likes this.
  4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

By Jove I think you've got it.

I don't know if anyone in the history of time has enjoyed setting up more than playing the gig.

5. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

You probably forgot to turn your reverb up.

6. mannish

mannish Member

we just like setting up & taking pictures of the set up...then posting on FB , hey we are set up ready to rock....Then we break down pay the club for the photo op get home in time to see the Voice & check our FB likes

rollyfoster likes this.
  7. Ed Zachary

Ed Zachary Member

The acid kicked in.

jwny72 likes this.
  8. straightblues

straightblues Member

Yes it happens. Could be the room. The number of bodies in the room absorbing sound. The other instruments filling out your tone.

When playing solo most people dial in a much fuller tone than when playing with others.

9. Belt Fed Riffs & Gear

Belt Fed Riffs & Gear Member

I call it the art of the jam - its just where the planets line up in just the right way and everyone tracking with one another- its awesome when that happens- though I often find a lot of folks are not comfortable to step out into that situation where ego's are left at the door and just roll with it- glad you had a good jam though will probably happen more and more as you guys gel together

10. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Dinner. Things never wirk out when you're hungry.

11. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Didn't Steve Vai say in the lines of "it's like masturbating vs. sex". Although, it depends who you are having sex with.

I think also playing for an audience lets you show off in a positive way. There is the pressure that tag along with playing live. Kind of like, a fighter who is awesome in the gym but horrible at the night of the bout; vice versa.

@vltjd I used to think that way too, but I find that I perform better at some things when I'm hungry; for example, taking exams and performing music. On the other hand, I am not sure if it applies to going in for interviews and dealing with angry girlfriends, impatient population, annoying clients, and uneasy children.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Improve The Groove

13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Takes a lot of burden off when others play.

14. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Most people who play live with a band regularly, dial in their guitar tone to be brighter/thinner than the guy who jams alone. It can be deflating to hear your tone sans the other instruments.
    Also, I might be wrong, but with a Bassist using a 1x10, it sounds like you rehearse at low volume. Ive yet to hear a low volume guitar tone I would call inspiring.

marktweedy likes this.
  15. RLD

RLD Member

Edibles part of dinner? :cool:

16. Turi

Turi Member

Hang on is this really a thread about a guy warming up?

17. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

What I notice is as the gig goes on my guitar strings turn pretty much into rubber bands, they become so easy to bend etc.

18. Campfired

Campfired Member

I've noted the phenomena as well. In certain cases, the mere act of socializing activates your mental faculties, so that you are more inspired to play better.

On numerous occasions myself, when I've not socialized before a jam or gig, my ability to play well is greatly reduced. However, when one socializes (read: is less isolated) and engages others in conversation, their brain "turns on" to more inspired playing.

This has happened to me in many instances. Next jam that you practice for, try reading a good book, or watching an interactive video prior to playing. Then, at your gig, try socializing with others prior to practicing a few lines for your songs.

Dollars to donuts, the message is rather clear. Preparing your mind and heart for the activity is what makes you a better listener and player.

19. tabb74

tabb74 Member

I once had a roommate tell me that when he listened to me practice alone, it didn't make much sense, but when he heard me playing in a band setting, it was amazing. I have often times felt like I play much better when I'm under the gun in a live situation, something about playing with other people or in front of people just makes me deliver. If I'm pissed off live, watch out, cause I bring the fiahhhhh! At home alone, I rarely surprise myself and feel like a broken record, just struggling to get certain song parts or licks right.

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's simple:

Standing on a tower
    World at my command
    You just keep a turning
    While I'm playing in the band

Playing
    Playing in the band
    Daybreak
    Daybreak on the land​

Pablomago likes this.