Playing Dirty - Come on are these worth it !!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by edwarddavis, Feb 21, 2009.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Well I sucked you in. I have seen a few posts asking are these small builder guitars worth the money . There is no answer but!!!. One way in my opinion is plug one in and play one through a good tube amp and play it with no pedals, bells or whistles and then judge . Its my opinion thats where you can separate the good from the great . I have quite a few guitars and once you have one of these guitars dialed in right on a nice clean amp thats where you hear and feel the difference in quality and attention that go into most of these .

I don`t use pedals because I want to hear the guitar ,either what it does clean or distorted with nothing in between .Guitar, cord and amp thats all.

Thats how I judge what sets one of these a part from other guitars.

When you can play a guitar better it sounds better and when its made of quality stuff and all the little things that go into it sets it in another class.

So next time you play one of yours or are deciding if its worth buying Play it clean for a while .

Take Lesson From Mr Soloway , smart guy . Thats why all his clips are clean . Lots of guitars sound ok Distorded or with effects but few sound amazing clean.

Just my Opinion .

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I'm not so picky about clean sounds because I do 90% of my playing dirty. So that's how I audition my guitars; dirty. I'm actually fairly easy to please when it comes to clean sounds. Then again, I'm a hack, what do I know? :D

-Austin

3. edwarddavis

I play dirty mostly as well LOL, But I judge them clean , I just feel even if you are not a clean player which I am not as well . Thats where you see the differences in a small builder guitar . But like you what do I know , LOL

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

When i'm checking out a guitar, i'd prefer to run it through all of it's paces, clean, dirty, high gain ( at least as high gain as I use) and unplugged. I play differently clean vs. dirty and higher gain, so I want to know how it reacts in every situation.

I agree with you in theory, the real charachter of a guitar will shine clean, or even unplugged. But I think you do need to evaluate a guitar in it's "working" envirionment.

5. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

One of my key R&D things is to audition prototype guitar chassis, pickups, etc etc via a high quality, uncolored direct box straight to 24/48 digital "tape".

In fact my recording rig has been a vital R&D tool for 11 years.

I've recorded many tracks of all types of guitars recorded this way for reference. If you loan me an interesting guitar there's a good chance I'll make a sound file of it.

If the chassis doesnt have it..it will not come out of the speaker cabinet, and matters of gain etc have no influence on that fact.

Of course, I do R&D with the guitar amplified every which-way as well as testing in a live situation.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thats cool Terry. But as far as gain, I think gain affects how a guitar is played, therfore affecting what comes out of the speakers?

7. edwarddavis

I agree with all the above , obviously playing it live with od is important if thats what you do and I do play mostly Over driven but if it plays and sounds great clean more times than not a great over driven sound can be had .
    I am just stating to really appreciate the whole package of a guitar thats of high quality all around , playing it clean is the best way to go in my opinion . Once pedals are in front of it you dont realize how good some of these guitar sound on their own , thats all.

This is just a thread to give small builder stuff credit where credit it do .

8. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Sure, of course it does. The point I was trying to make was that all of the freq's available for amplification are built-in to the chassis.

We cant "invent" freq's that arent there, but we CAN emphasise some more than others...and thus your comment comes into play.

Maybe I got off track...getting ready for my clinic at 1pm today.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I assure you, it's me thats usually off track!! Thanks for your insights Terry, I always enjoy reading your posts.