Playing fingerstyle on electric - What resources would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dorfmeister, Apr 29, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I want to work on my skills playing rock and jazz using only my right hand fingers on electric guitar.

What would be some good books or dvd's for developing these skills?

Do you think the exercises in Brasil's book on hybrid picking would work well for this but with fingers only?

I am guessing classical books would be fine but would not really get into rock and jazz territory.

Thanks.

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

With fingerstyle I would recommend.

three chord guitar has a fingerstyle 101.

http://threechordguitar.com/vids.htm

http://www.ericlugosch.com/lessonhome.html is pretty good

also youtube has lots of fingerstyle lessons, check them out

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=finger+style+lessons&search_type=

also check Fleetwood Mac Dire Straits, Allman Brothers with dereck trucks, jeff beck tommy emanuel bb king, its interesting that most of the great players really don't use a pick,

and we had a similar thread a while back you might learn something from that one

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=324467

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Thanks for the info.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

hybrid picking is very different from fingerpicking, I find when I hybid pick I have to use my pinky, three strings just don't cover it, four do cause you can play a measure,

a couple of suggestions,

1) short nails and pads, I studied fingerstyle jazz under a teacher, and it was either Classical nails like he had, but hated, or short nails and use the pads, which I did after he showed me that the nails really hurt my playing,

2) thumbpick or no thumbpick, thumbpick helps in travis picking where your playing the bass note muted, but hurts in other styles, I am currently playing without a thumbpick and feel that I am better for it, I can do solos Jeff Beck style by using my thumb and index finger like I am holding a pick only without the pick, and I use the nail for false harmonics, a thumb pick could never get the false harmonics, may not be the right term.

3) pinky, most players rest their pinky on the guitar, classical players do not, but a classical guitar is different from an electric, the necks are wider, so resting the pinky on the guitar makes it hard to reach all the strings, my playing varies, I usually rest my hand on the strings in front of the bridge to palm mute, and my pinky is not on the guitar, but I will rest on the guitar some times.

4) Open tunings and alternate tunings are a lot of fun, especially with a slide, I played around with them for a long time, I am back to standard tuning for slide, I found that just stopped play the stuff when I had to tune my guitar, they can be done in standard tuning, so that is what I am now using, but play around with the tunings they are a lot of fun.

here is a couple of pretty good site for the tunings, but google around there are lots of great sites on alternate tunings.

http://eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu/~sethares/alternatetunings/alternatetunings.html

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WarrenAllen/tunings.htm

I could not find my books the other day, here are the books I have, most are acoustic, or slide not sure if they are relavent or not, I play slide which is common for fingerstyle, really what got me into fingerstyle to begin with.

Warren Haynes Slide book and CD, is very good, really good information that is relavent for fingerstyle IMO, he uses standard tuning, which is much easier, having to go to open tuning is a pain, I used to have guitars set up for Open E and G and an acoustic in Open D.

Alfred Fingerstyle series, three books and CDs, beginner intermediate and master, this is what I learned from, they may have DVDs as well, I remember their Jazz series did, I really don't get much out of DVDs, but you may.

Mark hanson has some good books, Contremporary travis picking and christmas noel, travis picking is done on a electric, it needs a thumb pick, and its a style that I really got into, but I am trying to escape right now.

Happy Traum's finger picking styles fro guitar, a bunch of old blues classics,

Stefan Grossman's Delta Blues Guitar, an other book with a bunch of old blues classics.

Samuel Charters, Robert Johnson is just melody and chords, not really good for teaching anything.

One book that I can not find and its driving me crazy right now is Mississipi John Hurt, his fingerpicking style is amazing, really learned a lot from that book, just can not find it right now, CD comes with it,

Mel Bay Portraits of Christmas for finger style guitar, I find christmas songs easy to play,

Mel Bay Howard Morgen, Fingerstyle Jazz Images for Christmas.

Arlon Roth's complete acoustic guitar is very good, includes theory and everything, just a good book to own

Windomhill had a book of acoustic songs, can not find that one either, but it was very good, william ackerman, degrassi, maybe even michael hedges,

a couple of slide books, not sure if you will play slide or not, I do and slide is fingerstyle

Arlon Roth, traditional country and electric slide guitar, really what I learned to play on.

Dave Hamburger Electric slide, this had a VCR, might be on DVD that it was pretty good.

anyway those are the books I have on the subject, they are kind of old, so something better might now be available, I really like Warren Haynes slide book and CD, it was $16 so not to bad.

6. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Good info. Thank you very much. I think I will start with those Alfred Fingerstyle books. Look good and the price is right.

7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Pat Simmons of the Doobies has always played fingerstyle. He has picks made up that are a regular 351 shape pick but are held on like thumbpicks. It's pretty amazing to watch him let it fly live, where he's using a hybrid technique in up tempo songs, yet still do the acoustic thing totally fingerstyle.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

9. shigihara

shigihara Member

these are a must-have:

http://www.amazon.com/Studies-Right-Development-Classical-Guitar/dp/0898981905/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1
    http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store...19418784&cm_re=289.1.4-_-Results+Item-_-Title

also....there's a book by abel carlevaro on right hand technique which is worth looking into...

if you check out my myspace and youtube sites you'll find examples of my fingerstyle playing on electric guitars...

10. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

looks similar to pumping nylon, only smaller, I have pumping nylon, probably a more complete book than the 120 studies book, however classical guitar is very different from electric, and how you play fingerstyle can be very different, fingerstyle frees you to approach the guitar in a number of ways, and if you watch a fingerstyle player play you will see that they are all different.

11. countandduke

countandduke Member

Two words: Joe Pass. Yes he could play with a pick too but he played just as well with only his fingers.

Chris

12. shigihara

shigihara Member

here are some only playing with their fingers:

mick goodrick, tuck andress, kevin eubanks, romero lubambo, martin taylor,
    jeff beck, paco de lucia...

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Add John Abercrombie to that list.

14. 57tele

57tele Member

My bias is that if you learn the basic classical finger stuff, there's very little you won't be able to do in any other genre. Although I agree that classical and electric are different, the differences are small enough that the classical exercises and patterns will carry you a very long way. The Carcassi exercises provide the fundamentals for pretty much anything you'd come across and with a few years of serious study with it you'll be prepared to play just about anything.