Playing for 20,000 with a large bar rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Apr 22, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

This is a cool video. I happen to really like the song: simple with a great little catchy riff.

But what really stood out is the rig the players are using. That and the size of the "room." It's said often but who really needs a massive amp anymore? Not these guys.

To get to the point skip to 4:15. Stage is "postage stamp" sized in the middle of a very large arena.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I didn't see the amp because at some point I lost patience with Grohl asking which motherf**kers would like to sing the song with him, but I assume it was a Fender combo or something like that. Makes sense to me. I don't think people play big amps in big rooms because they need the amp to be that loud. PA systems have been doing the majority of the amplification since the 70's. Some of us just dig the sound. I play in a big room and I play a (sort of) big amp (80W Bogner Shiva) because it sounds good. The headroom really is nice...it sounds big and punchy in a way that smaller amps don't.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Is it time for the anti big amp rant again already? Time is just flying by.

4. gigs

gigs Member

Always play thru a 100W amp. But this thread is making me want to get a 150W amp.

5. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Rant? Is that what the first post sounded like to you? Odd.

Grohl's propensity to curse is a shame. Takes away from his essence as a very good musician and performer.

For those who don't go to the 4:15 mark guitar amps are a Soldano 44, Fender head on a 2x12, and Friedman head on a 2x12. Bass head unknown on a smallish Ashburn speaker cabinet.

6. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

These days, your amp is as big as the PA.....

7. The Funk

The Funk Member

Those are nice amps and probably have heavy enough transformers to get a big iron sound.

The band is likely using in ear monitors, which is pretty standard for bands at that level. With in ears the sound of the amp in the room basically gets blocked out. All you can hear is what the mic picks up. When close miced, most cabs sound pretty much the same. You are pretty much only hearing the speaker. So having a large cabinet is irrelevant to the sound as far as they are concerned.

That's actually a good thing. They can use exactly what amp they like, big or small to get the sound they want, and they can have a perfect sound mix no matter where they are onstage.

8. rizla

rizla Member

Thats a 100w friedman and a 100w fender tone master :) I think they are. Im pretty certain.

9. sleewell

sleewell Member

is the point of this thread that a professional touring musician with pro level equipment and pro level sound guys who had all day to setup and sound check can sound good in a large venue and that they use the pa for volume and not their amps?

i am not sure how this is to be considered ground breaking news.

10. rizla

rizla Member

Yes, the op demonstrated quite clearly that 100w is all you need to do any gig. :D

11. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Nothing can match the tones of big iron and big glass , even if it comes in compact sizes . :dude

12. demea26

demea26 Member

Friedman BE and Fender Tonemaster are both 100W amps...??

...and Grohl ****ING rules. Yeah I said ****, Mother****ers

13. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Those are 100 watt heads. Ain't nothing small about that what-so-ever. The title should be "Playing for 20,000 people with a stadium rig"

14. The Funk

The Funk Member

Like I said. At that level, stage volume for monitoring is a non issue. They can use whatever amps they want to get the tone that they want. The amps will be close miced and they will be monitoring through in-ears.

The cabinets that they use are probably chosen for the speaker but also the ability to drive the amp to the tone that they want without generating unnecessary loudness which might impact the clarity of anything else. They may also be using cab emulations or other tricks to get the sound they want both in their ears and out to the audience.

15. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Maracana Stadium currently has a capacity of 78,000 for sporting events. Fill the pitch and that number grows. *I didn't watch the video.

16. Valus

Valus Member

According to the current TGP groupthink, a stereo 100 - watt rig is virtually required for even the smallest corner bar. So, by that standard, he is playing a bar - gig rig. Get that boy some cargo shorts and snow white tennis shoes and he'd fit right in here!!!! [emoji1]

17. JB6464

JB6464 Member

Go big or go home , anything else is just a teaser . :p

18. CRUE

CRUE Member

:facepalm

19. DRS

DRS Member

There you go. Micro-amps for the 21st century player.