playing guitar after heart attack

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by telejammer, May 9, 2016.

1. telejammer

telejammer Member

I had a heart attack 1 week ago,had a stent put in,returned home from hospital 4 days ago. I feel pretty good,walking and resting and eating healthy according to discharge instructions. Problem is when I sit down with a guitar and try to play for a while I start to feel some anxiety and discomfort. Wondering if I'm trying too soon or is this normal. Anyone else here have anything similar to this happen to them? Just hope this will pass with time,Thanks, Tele.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Damn man, I'm glad your okay!!!!

I went through a heart episode and my brother recently had valve repair (twice) and it takes some times to get back to normal.....I took time off of playing/gigging after my event (and it wasn't anything like yours) just because I didn't feel right, and a few years later I'm gigging and playing more than I ever have in my life. I'm sure it will pass..

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    pressure and sfarnell like this.
  3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

give it time for you to return to your old self. A heart attack takes a toll on your whole body, including your mind/emotions. At least you're attempting it and that's a good sign. I needed a shrink I was so messed up/depressed.

roadfilm, VCuomo, NewLeaf09 and 2 others like this.
  4. Comfort Player

Comfort Player Silver Supporting Member

Just got a stent last week myself. I would say if it feels uncomfortable, wait and discuss it with the Doc. Listen to your body,

pressure and derekd like this.
  5. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Everybody is different. I think some of it is anxiety and the slap in the face of your mortality. It suddenly becomes more real. Years ago I was having what I thought was anxiety issues and got out of sorts at work. An ambulance was called and I was in the emergency room 10 minutes later. They examined me and thought I was having a stomach issue. They gave me something for my stomach and left the room. I started sweating and called out for help while laying there. Fortunately my cardiologist and drummer in my band heard I was rushed in to the ER and came down. He checked me over and sent me stat to surgery. I had a stent put in. The doctor said I was very lucky the real issue was identified or it could have been fatal for me. I was in the hospital for two days and did a job playing bass the day after I got home. My doctor who wasn't in this particular band said it was up to me if I thought I could do it. It wasn't easy singing all night but I made it.
    I think realizing you came close to death can affect a person. Anxiety you may not be aware of. It takes some time to just let it go and not dwell on it. I understand the feeling of anxiety while trying to concentrate and practice or do repetitive coordination things. I'm guessing it is a natural stress thing....... but I'm a patient and not a doctor.

glad you are on the mend.

Oh and the various pills and blood thinners made me feel funny too.

6. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i would say it's in your mind, TJ but shouldn't be ignored. take the time off until you really want to play again. i had open heart surgery and was very listless for months afterward, no desire to play but it eventually came back to me. here's some healing mojo!

7. neil99

neil99 Member

I had a heart attack night before thanksgiving 2014. I was driving home from playing ice hockey when it happened. I was found pulled over in the high speed lane of the highway just north of Boston. A very kind person thankfully pulled over to find me unconscious in my truck. Ambulance was called, cpr was started. I was taken to mass general where I was induced into a coma. Stent was placed and I slept peacefully for the month of December. Regained consciousness beginning of January went home feb 8. Had anoxic brain injury, still have balance issues as well as loss of peripheral vision. It has been a long freaking haul...
    Hang in there man, your on the right side of the dirt!!!! Playing our first gig in a couple weeks at Sommerville porch fest, really looking forward to it!!!

burns, Bankston, Jaan and 4 others like this.
  8. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

Boy, for someone who had a heart attack a week ago and you're up walking, eating and feeling better I'd say - "put the f'ing guitar down, contemplate what just happened and understand how lucky you are".

You could have played your last lick last week. Rest up.....

Glad you're ok!

9. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Thoughts prayers and mojo man. I get pumped up when playing could be an endorphin/adrenalin thing listen to your body. If it makes you feel funny talk to the doc.

Like others said dont rush it will come back. It seems like a thing you love oughta be great for you but if it makes you feel weird figure out why.

10. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Lots of blues start with

Woke up this morning...

Try that out.

11. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I recently recovered from surgery, and am having chemo now. I think gradually working back into playing is a very important step in my own recovery, if not my sanity from having to sit around while I heal. Just take your time, and play a little bit as you feel it, without trying to force yourself. You'll come around and start feeling more like yourself soon. I wish you all the best in your recovery, and good health in the future! :)

burns and rhinocaster like this.
  12. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Been there.

It's too soon to even pick up a guitar. You were probably told nothing heavier than 5 lbs the first two weeks.

Live it.

Stratobuc likes this.
  13. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

The singer in my band had a heart attack a year ago in April. He was on life support for about a month but came out of it very nicely. He's got a stent and a defibrillator implant.

By June he wanted to play music but it took him a couple of months before he could do more than a handful of songs. We did a 45 minute set one night at the end of August and it wiped him out.

By October he could do 3 sets and he's still doing great.

You are normal and you are lucky. You'll know when you're ready to play the guitar again. Get better first.

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Ehhh, not impressed. I thought you meant right after.

Seriously though, good on you man. You seem to have a great attitude which is at least half the battle, and all else will surely follow. Give yourself some time and best wishes!

15. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Drummer in my band had a heart attack during a gig!

Luckily another drummer friend was there to ginish the gig. :)

16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Take it easy for a bit. Your body will tell you when you can play. Or you could ask your heart doc, but that's probably what he or she would say.

17. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Anxiety is pretty much normal. Discomfort is not. Please specify the "Discomfort" Groin? normal- Chest- abnormal

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. jape

jape Member

Glad to hear you are OK.

This is a real out of left field guess - but - do you think the discomfort could be due partially to your posture when you sit & play? I know most of the time my posture is horrible when I sit. I tend to slouch over the guitar. If you are doing this maybe you are putting a little pressure on your chest / core.

Like I said - just a guess. Take it easy & don't push it too much.

19. telejammer

telejammer Member

Thanks to all that responded to my post,I go to see my cardiologist Monday and will bring up these issues with him,till then I'm going to lay off playing guitar .

20. dbx

dbx Member

Take care, friend and give yourself time...these heart procedures are not trivial. Talk with your cardiologist, and a counselor if needed, above all listen to your body. If you're tired take a rest, don't force the music...it will come back...how's your general health otherwise? Seems like you're on the road to wellness, just don't over do it.

Enjoy the day...