Playing in a band you don't believe in

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas Hed, Aug 16, 2019.

1. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

It sounds like a praise and worship gig, and that is not your thing. No harm, no foul. {this is not a religious statement} Too quote Billy Joel, "Either way its OK, You wake up with yourself." I used to play in that setting, but the there was no flexibility. One time they asked me to play one song and cut the solo from 12 bars to 8 bars. I didn't catch the change on the sheet and played all twelve bars, and on the spot found it difficult to choose what to cut. I got tired of doted eighth note delays.

If you don't have buy in, I don't think you will be happy in the long run. However the structure of such an environment can build a lot of discipline in your playing. I learned during those six years not to be such a perfectionist and try to play the songs like they were recorded, but do what my band leader wanted from me. I grew as a person playing music I didn't particularly dig, but doing it for the song as many have said. That made me a better musician, but not better technically speaking. That wasn't a bad thing for me.

I learned to play bass during that time, because no one else could or would do it. I learned how important timing is to a song. I learned a bass guitar is so much more than a guitar tuned down an octave.

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

If you’re playing to pay your bills the answer is different imo than if not.

It’s all down to what you want and why you do it.

I would not take that gig but someone else may need or want to. I’ve passed on gigs over a band’s choice to do a political benefit I could not support.

3. weedzzz

weedzzz Member

If you think there’s absolutely no way you’re going to enjoy the music or grow to like it, then give it a miss. There’s no point in putting the effort in if it feels like a chore, unless it’s your main income/job, then maybe it’s worth it. If your income is not reliant upon this opportunity then look for something more suitable that you’re going to enjoy.

If it’s not something you truly dislike, then who knows, you might grow to enjoy it ore than you think and expand your playing style or something.

4. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Correct - and it is volunteer, not for money - but I don't play for $ so that is not an issue for me.

derekd likes this.
  5. hugbot

hugbot Member

Its worth playing in a band if you hit 2 out of three:

1 you like the music

2 you like hanging with the people

3 theres money

6. JohnnyBGoode

JohnnyBGoode Member

This.

7. Mayfield

Mayfield Member

My last band turned out to be this way, but it didn't start that way. There were always songs I loved playing in our 3-4 hour sets...but over time (keep in mind we were a party band) the songs that we needed to play from the standpoint of continuing to build an audience was not what I wanted to play. HOWEVER, the flip side of this was it was great for my chops and that is what kept me focused. I learned genres and styles I never would have gravitated towards. So I really enjoyed that, and I enjoyed playing with the players, so that made it last. The end state was that I disbanded the band because it just was not enjoyable and I wanted to write and play more of what I wanted. I shared this to say, don't discount the growth you can get from other experiences and being a working musician. It just could come with a timeline of tolerance if it just doesn't fire you up, if that makes sense.

strat62 likes this.
  8. gigs

gigs Member

If that is the case, I highly recommend you give it a go.

Hiighway Chile likes this.
  9. twotone

twotone Member

Does one have to be in a band to enjoy playing the guitar?

10. ESW.

ESW. Member

Playing for free in a P&W band as a non-believer? No, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    bonegrubber likes this.
  11. Hot In The Shade

Hot In The Shade Member

li-ving in a non-mat-er-i-al world

AZJim, BLNKSN and Gas Hed like this.
  12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Y'know, it depends. I get to play music I love, but if there's 25 people in the audience it's a special event. I'd love to be in a situation where I could play for hundreds of people, especially on a regular basis. But "play what I love" and "play what's popular" are kind of at odds with each other.

And I'm so tired of having to be the organized one, to get people to show up for practice and recording, of having to buy most of the gear so we have a studio and a PA and stuff. But I get to play what I love.

13. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I think I get it.
    Normally I would say dive in and maybe you'll find that you like playing the material but in your case I recommend NOT getting involved for many reasons.
    One being that you will be representing that audience.

14. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

No but there is something completely different about a shared experience when it comes to playing. Think about it...would you rather have hair on your palm or...well, you know? ;)

Dr.Picklebottom and beanbass like this.
  15. twotone

twotone Member

If the only musicians available are people who want to butcher cover tunes, I'd rather play guitar alone.

Anthony Gring and thecornman like this.
  16. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

It's Black Metal, isn't it? Be honest.

My advice is to suck it up and don your corpse paint.

FPFL, AprioriMark, danfalck and 5 others like this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If I didn't particularly like the genre, for me it would make a difference whether I had to cover the music note for note or if I could make it my own. I played in a country band at a time when I really kind-of hated country music, but I was able to play the songs my way and the band was really successful, so it worked...for me.

18. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I did this for a few years once. I grew to hate showing up. I didn't even want to play for a while by the time I quit. The other side of it was that I did get to learn & play with some pros.

19. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I'm alright with it if I have to attend minimal practices, the songs don't take a lot of time to learn, I just have to bring my guitar gear and not PA, the gigs are good, and the people are easy to get along with and good musicians. If those things are all in line then I'm cool with it.... if not it can be an area of contention for me.

Supporting other people and playing in a cover band.... I realize not everyone has my musical taste and there's not going to be a perfect scenario, but it beats sitting on the couch.

There are some gigs I look forward to more than others... and part of the reason is the material.

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I think that I made my best money, as a church Music Director. When it came to playing with a praise team, I had the best time playing with rather poor musicians. But I made friends, and helped other's develop. When I played with great musicians, I had to deal with some very strange personalities. So, you don't really know what you're in for, until you work with them for a while.