Playing In Comfort... What Do You Sit On?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by astainback, May 18, 2015.

1. astainback

astainback Member

This question is for those of you who sit most of the time when playing... what do you sit on?

I was at Sound Pure and they have drum thrones everywhere to sit on while testing guitars and amps.. and in the drum section too.. hahaha.

I have a stool that I like, and another that I don't like... (too tall).
    I was thinking a pork pie throne might be the best option.
    I am also not a small guy, so sturdy and comfort are the two most important things for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

astainback likes this.
  3. astainback

astainback Member

Thanks derekd. I like that chair.. but it is a little too much $$ for me.

4. JonR

JonR Member

I want whatever he's sitting on:

Or maybe this chair would do (shame you don't get a good look at it):

There has to be SOMETHING about those chairs.....shame I could never afford them....

;)

5. Neer

Neer Member

My butt. :)

I bought a musician's portable folding aluminum stool a few years ago that's really nice, but the company went out of business. I've never seen another quite like it.

For steel guitar, I have what is called a Pac-A-Seat.

6. stevel

stevel Member

Stand.

IMHO, unless you're adopting a Classical posture (a la Segovia above) or have a genuine reason for needing to sit (like BB) AND you're going to be gigging, you need to stand if you gig standing. Endurance. I see many folks (especially older) who can't stand for a set and when we have a rehearsal, they're sitting the whole time.

Unless you're doing "coffeehouse" style on a bar stool with right leg propped up, sitting general does nothing to promote either good posture while playing, or good technique.

If you're just knocking around the house, sit on whatever's comfortable. When I'm practicing bad posture and lazy playing (that's not a condemnation, sometimes I just want to grab a guitar wherever and play) sit on the sofa.

Otherwise you need this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/380413499744742762/

Or this:

http://www.samash.com/quik-lok-dx-7...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CPr7z8aMzMUCFUERHwodp5EAOg

Steve

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

8. m_b

m_b Member

A while ago when I got a semi-hollow, I didn't feel comfortable with it at first and looked up different seats and the best I could find was one by a brand called K&A. It's a pork pie adapted for guitar players.
    http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Drummer-s...ools/14046-14047-Pneumatic-stool-black-fabric
    As tempting as it was I realized the problem was with my posture. I can't play sitting down with a strap, I don't know how other guys do it, to me it's a physical impossibility. I simply tried adapting what I was doing with my 16" archtop, using a foot stool under the right foot. I simply set the stool a bit higher. A strap adds stability but the guitar weight is 90% on my thigh. The K&A would be nice to have but no longer is a real necessity at this point.

9. old goat

old goat Member

Nor does sitting do anything bad to posture or technique. It's not just classical players that play sitting--jazz and folk performers do as well. The main reason to play standing up is looks--it's just part of the vibe for some kinds of music. Imagine Keith Richards on a chair. Now playing on a sofa, which I do occasionally, is bad for technique--tough to get your fretting arm in a good position. Personally, when I play at home I often sit on an exercise ball, for my back. The main qualification for a playing chair--no arms.

10. monty

monty Member

I stand probably 75% of the time, when I'm sitting its usually on one of those Fender stools they came out with in the last few years.

11. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

sitting vs standing is a different topic than what kind of chair to sit on.

but regarding that (standing vs. sitting) the physical dimensions of the guitar are a factor.
    like archtop vs. strat .
    physical dimensions of the guitar play a factor in each of the postures.

there are a few physical postures. commonly there are: sitting in a chair, sitting on the ground, lying down, and standing.
    Each one has its own domain of experience - e.g. if you're good at sitting in a chair it doesn't mean you're good at sitting on the ground.
    Each posture requires a practice of its own - this is separate from actually playing the guitar.

some mediators spend years just working on posture. It can be a deep practice.

its pretty easy to let posture slide but it can catch up with you eventually.
    esp. if you spend long hours in one posture position.
    over years it can have long term effects on the bones, nerves, and ligaments.

12. dmkz

dmkz Member

13. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

14. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I have a nice little upolstered round stool. No arms to get in the way of the guitar, at about the right height.

If I'm really getting serious, I also have a classical foot rest that I'll put my left foot on, and then the guitar rests on the left knee classical-style.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Ok... you asked so here's my 1st world answer. I practice quite a bit and it usually involves sitting in front of my laptop with trasncription software going or drum loops... so at home I'm on one of these. A Herman Miller Embody. It's pretty bad ass - my wife got it for me for Fathers Day.... (mine's Gray though). FYI, the arms splay really wide open too - in this pic it looks like they'd get in the way, but the way I run mine it's perfect for guitar play. And yes, it's extremly comfortable for long periods of time - which is what it was designed for. Really good chairs are not inexpensive....

[​IMG]

16. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Supporting Member