• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Playing in stereo?

delayman

Hey guys, I see that many of you play in stereo and I was wondering the purpose behind it. Could someone explain the whole idea of playing stereo please? Thanks!

Moe45673

It's mainly for stereo effects (Chorus, Delay, Tremolo), which all sound way better than their mono counterparts. It also sounds great if you have one set to a more trebly sound and one to a more bass sound, or if you split your dirt signal and have one going to, say, a Tubescreamer and one to a Boss OD-3 (flatter EQ), etc etc.

Practically, though, it's a pain to bring 2 amps, a pain to set them up so both are heard equally by the entire audience in the entire room (even when mic'd), and other things. Stereo is mostly practical in the studio. Others can chime in here!

zachman

Hey guys, I see that many of you play in stereo and I was wondering the purpose behind it. Could someone explain the whole idea of playing stereo please? Thanks!
It adds a spatial dimension/component to the sound- not possible in mono.

Cameronrati

I play a superseventeen and an ac15, I use stereo for my timefactor delay but I use it also because the 2 amps sound different and when you play them together its amazing. you get this low end fendery thing from the 17 and well vox from the vox which takes care of the highs, if wall-o-sound is what you are looking for get 2 good tube amps, nothing special a blues jr and an ac15 sound amazing together.

Shiny McShine

I do the wet/dry split (sort of stereo). It really adds a lot of width to the sound. I run the wet amp really low like a low speaking voice so you barely can tell. It gives the impression of a bounce in a big concert venue and hypes my ego. (Hey, I need all the help I can get!)

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
i LOVE it with two "little" amps. SPACE is the final frontier. zach is right on about that. the whole wet/dry rig for delays/effects is another. . . . running a delay in ping-pong mode is also incredibly cool. one of the other great things i've learned . . . mostly by accident. . . is how AWESOME it is two have two differently voiced amps put together. i have an alessandro running on 6v6s that i set up for a very scooped/blackface tone and i run that alongside a blues junior (pretty mid-range voice. . . what some people call 'boxy' i call cutting through the mix). the clean tones alone on this 'rig' are the most heavenly i have ever ever heard. i'd put it up against any bruno or two rock or. . .yeah. . . stereo is cool.

Shinequwa

I run two 1x12 combos in stereo using a DD-20 to split the signal, but do it more because I love the sound of my two amps blended, and not so much for stereo purposes.

muffinman

I'll chime in with what those earlier already said: effects like chorus & tremolo are fun enough in mono (or boring to some), but in stereo...man, completely different perception. I would argue that if you've never tried it yet, you really can't even know what you're missing until you do try it. Not just the added spatial dimension to the sound either -- try blending 2 different kinds of amps, running a clean/dirty mix, or 2 different dirt pedals, and now it's spatial dimension + tonal blends = much richer & more complex textures.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
To me the advantage beyond the delay/modulation spatial component is the fullness in overal sound/tone.

Take a good Fender-y 6V6/6L6 amp w/ spring reverb mixed in stereo with a good EL84 without any 'verb (dry) and you get the fullest sound you could imagine. Both amps on at all times (not a/b) and use lower wattage (22, 18, 15 or 12) amps that you can push and you're in tone heaven. I've done it and love it!

Adwex

I had a stereo rack rig. It sounded awesome in my living room with two cabs separated by 8 feet. Not dirty, but clean with chorus. Huge.

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
I run 2 amps and they are in stereo but aI rarely take advantage of the stereo part...now and then I'll kick on a DC-2 (which sounds amazing in stereo) or a PN-2 set to PAN mode which is super swampy and cool in stereo but more often than not I'm just using the 2 amps and the reason is I like the sound of 2 different amps playing together and playing off of each others strong points.

rob2001

A lot of music I like features double tracked guitars. There are more recorded double tracked guitars than you could imagine. When I was in a 2 guitar band I didn't worry about it because we worked hard to duplicate that.

Now that i'm in a one guitar band, running stereo can give the spatial impression of two guitars. It's not the same as two guitars slamming a rhythm (ala Judas Priest or Maiden) but it's the closest thing i've found.

rockinrobby

Senior member Professional musician ...
Double Platinum Member
I've been playing stereo rigs for around 25 years now! It all stated with the Roland CE1 chorus ensemble ... Pedals have gone digital and analog both sound killer with two tweed deluxe's ...

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
Stereo rocks!! I run 2-Mesa Lonestar Specials on the out side with a stack of 2-Marshall Class 5's inbetween. Delay/Chorus/Phase pedals only running to the Mesa's,
dirt to all. I still only have 2- 12's and 2-10's and 70 watts. Sounds huge, but very "manageable" volume it can be switched down to a total of 20 watts. Sorry for the hijack!!

john l

Silver Supporting Member
Whoa whoa whoa everyone just hold the hell on here....

:worthless

Yeah the effects sound good and all but I actually like running two dissimilar amps in stereo just for the tone of both amps mixing together. Its absolutley beautiful to me. I run this

Into this

oxtone

For years I used a Boogie Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig in stereo at my church. They mic'd both my 1x12 Theil ported cabs, as they have
a stereo sound system. When I used stereo ping-pong delays, I could hear them out in the house bouncing back-and-forth, left-to-right, and that sounded really cool!

I don't play there anymore, but it sure was a gas for a long time (16 years) playing in stereo! :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom