Playing loud again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr.Mavashi, May 27, 2008.

1. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

Well ... I am in the band again, after almost 8 years .... Took my Laney up to 6 (1 o'clock) on the MV. Those who know AORs understand that its pretty freaking loud. New problems with playing that loud. First feedback is a byooootch!!! I mean its really bad, even covering the pup with palm does not really work. I push it with Spina's TS9 and the minute I stop playing I get a phenomenal radio reception. I also get a pretty lould hum. So, Hush, Deciminator, or what else ? Thanks dudes.
    P.S.
    The old trick of matching the pre-amp with MV really works.

2. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Work that guitar volume knob and be quick on slamming it off when a bridge/break happens.

Between tunes stomp the OD pedal off... Not unusual, lots of loud high gain players gotta do it.

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Try to walk further away from the amp.

dk

4. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Turn the gain down and step away from the amp.

5. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat Member

Why do you have to play so loud that it causes problems like that?
    Whoever's driving the overall band volume needs to look at the big picture.
    Work as a unit instead of one or two people making everyone play catch-up in the volume war.

My .02

6. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

microphonic pickup or tube?

the radio garbage could be coming from almost anywhere in the signal chain.

good luck! With a little work the only feedback you should get is the good kind!

Crank it up!

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

"Some people like cupcakes better. I, for one, care LESS for them!"
    Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged
    icing-anointment utensil, He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosetta
    Near the summit of a dense-but-radiant muffin of his own design

Later he says:

"Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,
    While I myself say there is naught, nor ought there be,
    Nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey earth
    As that Prince of Foods . . . The Muffin!"

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well put!
    Just make sure your ears are taken care of and crank it up if the band is at that volume level. My band is loud and it sounds great! I have been playing for more years than I care to mention and it is not stopping any time soon.
    That said, I do not play jump blooze or jazz.
    Also, some of my boxes produced radio frequencies at any volume, so the cause is not necessarily volume. BTW, what kind of pickups in your guitar OP? I have no issues with out of control feedback, and what I do get is controllable, but that in and of itself is a technique. You may want to switch out your PU's for some better potted units.
    Emee

9. bosstone

bosstone Member

"Sparrow fly high but no can build dam like tail of beaver" F Troop quote

10. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

Well thanks everyone, we are in hard rock/metal zone so turning down volume and gain would not be .... correct? MV is on 6 Pre-amp is on 6 as well, TS - drive is about 2 and level is about 7-9. I do know about standing away from the amp and I did that - still a lot of feedback. I play a Lonestar Strat with Seymour Duncan's Invader in the bridge.

11. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Check your pre-amp tubes. I had the squal thing happening with my Mark IV and it came to be a bad tube. Microphonic squeals are nobody's friend.

12. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Those invaders are pretty hot I think. As far as settings, if your getting loads of feedback, they aren't "correct". It might sound great like that but then managing he feedback is a problem.

Try turning down different tone knobs till you find the offending frequency. Figure you have one on your guitar, one on the pedal and a bunch on the amp. Otherwise i'd think dropping the level a bit on the TS would take care of it. Otherwise as it has been suggested, disengage the OD between songs.

13. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

The lead channel on my Mark IV was squealing like mad until I got rid of the problem tube. If you're unable to use similar settings as before chances are you have something going wrong.

14. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would try everything but a noise suppressor. They rob tone in my opinion. I know plenty of pro players use one, but I personally cant stand them.

Im not sure if the feedback you are talking about is nice musical feedback, or just extreme uncomfortable feedback.

I like to play with enough gain to produce musical feedback. Reach for the volume knob, or be ready to turn off your pedals, or get a pedal tuner with a muted output, and just stomp that at the end of a song.

That sounds like a microphonic pickup or tube though. Something not normal. Try another guitar, try tapping the preamp tubes to hear any ringing. Make sure you are using quality cables as well.

Good luck

15. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

What a difference a room makes. This time it was so much better, I've had one the best tones I've ever had. All took was to plug into the wall opposite of the wall where everybody else was plugged in and standing with the half stak 100% behind me. Feed was still there but a lot more manageble. No radio, and the noise/hum level while TS was went down by 3/4.

16. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member

Ok I've managed to get rid of most of the sqeal, radio thing happens but very rare now, and not to the same extent. But hum is at too much of a level. Basically with all the pedals off and volume on the guitar at 5 it starts to come in once the pre-amp is past 5, caps ????

17. Dr.Mavashi

Dr.Mavashi Member