playing PRS upside-down?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by barik01, Feb 16, 2009.

1. barik01

barik01 Member

Hi. There's a nice used PRS I could get for a really good price, but since I'm left-handed, I would play it like a lefty.

Could I replace the nut for re-stringing the guitar upside-down? The shape of the guitar would be quite comfortable and I don't mind the controls near my arm, so it's only a matter of how the guitar would react to re-stringing.

Maybe some of you guys have experience with stuff like that, would appreciate help.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ergonomics aside, there's no reason it couldn't be re-set with a new nut for lefty playing.

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

you dont even need a new nut, if you can cleanly detached the existing nut, just switch it around and reattach (worked on my strat). You would also need the intonation adjusted, too. But thats about it. Also a side note, once you get used to the controls being so close, i grew to prefer it that way, you can do violining effects with the volume while still picking the strings

4. walterw

that won't really work with a prs nut as it's not flat-sided front and back like a fender.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

Stoptail or tremolo?

If it's a non-adjustable stoptail, you'll have to replace it with one for a left handed model or an adjustable, as it won't intonate correctly.

And of course, the nut.

6. walterw

oh yeah, :jo he's right. a mcarty bridge would need to be swapped out for a lefty version, or one with individually adjustable saddles.

7. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Every time I try to play upside down the blood rushes to my head and it's really uncomfortable-oh you mean just the GUITAR upside down - never mind...

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Replace the nut and change the bridge to a Pigtail wraparound. It'll work just fine.

Cheers,