Playing "Purple Rain" off the cuff...?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 23, 2016.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm at work and the guys in the band are (1) not working, and (2) texting me about wanting to play Purple Rain at the gig tonight. I know its pretty easy and I "might" have time to work up the intro after work and before the gig, but.....maybe not. Do any of you play the song and can give me some helpful hints on playing it, especially the intro......thanks!

2. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

The chords aren't hard. Just from foggy memory it involves going from a major to a minor of the same IV chord. I remember thinking I could follow along after hearing a verse or two. I imagine being able to learn it before the youtube vid finishes playing the first time, if I held a notepad in my hand. So I wouldn't be too concerned. Sorry I'm too lazy to help more. :)

3. harry65

harry65 Member

Just rip it hard!!!!!!!!!!

4. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

It's the end that's tricky. Unless you just abandon the arrangement and just solo over the chords at the end.

jpastras and Turi like this.
  5. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The phrasing on the vocals are not easy. If you miss one, the whole verse is shot all to hell. The post above me is right. Every chick in the bar will know when you mess up Prince. Might want to run through it once before you try a bandwagon attempt at a classic.

7. memberzonly

memberzonly Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Yeah song is easy but I think there are some differences in the length of the verses. Like a couple of extra bars here and there.

jpastras likes this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Hey, I just realized that I won't be able to listen to the song, anyway, to learn the intro, since it's already been taken down from Youtube (it was on there briefly after he died)......

10. ibis

ibis Member

I could give you some tips but its easier to post a youtube of my pub band playing it. Not note for note but "in the spirit". Hope it helps. Good luck with it tonight.

Marris Otter, JoeB63 and Dr. Zorlac like this.
  11. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

It's Bb, Gm, F, Eb

Turi and mdrake34 like this.
  12. oneass

oneass Member

Sounds great, but actually, it's kinda wrong. First chord (in standard tuning) is x-x-0-3-1-1 (so it's Bbsus2/D).

highfidelity66 and Glass Onion like this.
  13. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

He's plying that in A, which sounds great for the open position chords, but on the record it's in the key of B flat.

We covered it when I was in a group, it was my favorite song of the night because of the Hendrixy-bar chord progression and the singer let me do an extended solo jam.

A-Bone, Bobby D and buddaman71 like this.
  14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

all that matters is what key the singer wants it in :)

15. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

The guy I played with was adamant about playing in the key on the record for all songs, but there were several we probably should have dropped down a half step.

16. ibis

ibis Member

^
    Make the Bb a sus2, same with the Eb.
    From the Bbsus2 run down the bass Bb -> A -> G into the Gm7.
    In the F chord (which varies in length according to part of song) play F then F7 then play the voicings F7 -> F6 -> F -> Bbsus2, so you get Eb D C Bb on the second and third strings for the 'in the Purple Rain' phrase. But just play F and it'll do!

Bob Pollock and MrLahey like this.
  17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Same here. Our lead singer has relative perfect pitch and usually wants the song in the original key. We recently learned "All Mixed Up" by 311 which seems to be just slightly lower than A440 so it doesn't sound right to him. I learned it in Bb but when we rehearse B sounds righter.......

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

then the guy you played with was not the singer
    it's a rookie mistake
    my buddy wanted me to run and front the band for his wedding and had picked out eleven tunes he wanted. michael jackson and stevie wonder all over the place. i was like, "dude, you picked all those tunes out of my range!" we worked a couple of weeks on finding the best key for each song for my voice. we changed seven of the eleven songs. that's how it's done.

19. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Correction: Bbsus2, Bb/G, F, Eb

Thanks for sharing the chords, 27sauce. If you're going to play "Purple Rain", play the chords the right way, and wail on that solo at the end of the song. :rockin One of my favorite Prince songs!!:cool:

Guitar George

Glass Onion and 27sauce like this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Isn't Bb/G and Gm basically the same chord? And.....if you're playing the chords "right" shouldn't you play the solo right, too?

27sauce likes this.