Playing sitting ... Wearing a strap. How?

PaulHudgins

How?? which electric guitars will stay in position like that? My guitar's lower bout is too large and currved for staying in that position. I think I could say the same thing about most acoustic guitars and most jazzboxes.

Is your guitar actually sitting on your chair when it's between your legs?
I have strats, a tele and a Heritage H-150 and they all work, and they don't sit on the chair. The pic below of Rick Graham is how I hold all my guitars, in fact watching him play like this is what got me started on sitting like this. When I'm playing my forearm on my right hand adds extra stability but my fret hand never has to hold the neck up and it sits at a nice angle.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Ill say the vast majority of sitters rest the guitar on their right leg, no problem
Spain - Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia - YouTube

These world class guys can do it. They still play ok.
Put on a strap, adjust it so it fits without tension and you won't know it's there until the guitar starts to slide away, or you move around.
Stand up, if the guitar moves a bit, it is no big deal to most players. Swing your shoulders a little to meet the new position.
Play behind your head..it can all be done.
The instrument and access position can be changed in the moment to facilitate the playing.
If ALL your playing requires a specific position keep it where it works. Personal fit and preference, a YMMV.

Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio Part1 - YouTube

Joe B

Eric Johnson Eric J
If it feels good and sounds good you are doing it right.

cyrusj

It's normal to wear a strap length such that the guitar sits around the same level as when sitting, that's what I was taught and it's what you generally see in the jazz/classical worlds. If it hurts your back then it's probably because your foot under the guitar body is not raised with some type of footstool. Whether your guitar sits on the right or left leg doesn't really matter so much as that leg being raised.

Jeremy_Green

I wear my strap all the time, sitting or standing. The reason is that I strive for consistency with my angles. I don't want to spend hours and hours practicing sitting at one angle - then perform standing and it's ALL different. Personally I practice standing for the most part. The guitar just feels better hanging to me, then I can move it around as needed.

Jttroop

My strap is usually attached. Though when I play seated, I don't wear it. I am right handed and place the guitar on my left leg, angled up. This places the guitar in almost the same position as when I'm standing minus it is a little lower when I stand.

Pyritez

Strapping the guitar to the chest in the same exact spot every time so as not to affect purported 'technique' seems to me about as enjoyable as laying on a bed of nails while playing, lol.
Might as well play the piano instead.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Wearing a strap felicitates faster, more skilled playing ... Easier sweeps, arpeggios, etc.
Resting guitar on my leg is a good way to edit my playing when I need too ... On the real soft solo gigs

Jon

I'm 6'4" and if I play with the guitar on my knee, I find that I'm constantly leaning slightly forward - fine for short periods but I'll get back ache over longer periods. If it's on the right knee I find I'm also slightly twisted to the right. On the left is better but I prefer to have the guitar on a strap so it's just lifted off my knee when I sit upright.

I used to try to set the strap so that the guitar would be at the same spot on my chest when I stand, just as when I sit down.

Then I realized that I often cross my legs when i sit. I like the guitar over my right leg. Even so, the guitar position, when I sit, changes whether it's my right leg on top vs. my left leg, vs. sitting with both legs level. So that's at least 3 different positions right there.

I also found too high a position with the strap makes good ol rock and roll strumming less comfortable - for me.

So while I'm unlikely to ever set my strap so the guitar is at knee height - I do have it a bit lower than it was when I got my first guitar strap and was learning how to play. I'm also fine now with the guitar not always being in the same position, as long as control is maintained. This is just what I found works for me. Everyone's gotta do what works for them.

Last edited:

Doomrider78

I'd also suggest getting a tall practice stool to sit on, rather than play on the couch or a comfy chair: I find it's a much better position for playing, and you can get it closer to your standing position.

Using a stool I've managed to set my strap to hold the guitar in almost the same position when seated as when standing, without it feeling like it's becoming a chin rest.

MagRick

I always wear a strap irrespective of sitting or standing. I am really scared that I might drop the guitar and strap gives me the extra confidence that i won't drop it :D Sounds silly maybe.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
My electric guitars all have straps, and I have them set up so the guitar is at the same height whether sitting or standing. If I don't have a strap I always feel like I'm wrestling the guitar rather than playing it. I don't have a problem with acoustic guitar without a strap, there's enough to hold on to that I don't feel like I'm having to fight it.

p.j.

I play seated and strapped. I find this minimizes variables. I am so used to playing with a strap while seated that I find it kind of uncomfortable to play seated without one.

Tootone

I have strats, a tele and a Heritage H-150 and they all work, and they don't sit on the chair. The pic below of Rick Graham is how I hold all my guitars, in fact watching him play like this is what got me started on sitting like this. When I'm playing my forearm on my right hand adds extra stability but my fret hand never has to hold the neck up and it sits at a nice angle.

You can't do that with a 10lb Les Paul.

Tootone

For all those people who adjust their Strap high so the guitar is in the same position even when they are sitting.... there is a slight problem with that.

You look like a gonk standing up.

Until Tom Morello made it cool ;)

GitGeek

Legendary Member
Silver Supporting Member
For all those people who adjust their Strap high so the guitar is in the same position even when they are sitting.... there is a slight problem with that.

You look like a gonk standing up.

Until Tom Morello made it cool ;)
Don't forget Petrucci. I'm not sure between the 2 who's sits higher.

Sp8ctre

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe someone should have told these two they were doing it wrong...

When I took my courses at Berklee School of Music they instructed us to wear a strap sitting adjusted to the same height when standing. Works for me.

gettyimages-84843315.jpg

Trending Topics