1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

playing slow is actualy harder for me than playing fast

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by still.ill, May 18, 2011.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

i wrote a song recently thats sort of like the section at 1:48-2:17 here
    except its like that the entire song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vAONepZcrE

i find it super difficult to actually play consistently/in time
    (its really slow arpeggios)
    ill either miss a note or not play it loud enough, or do a slight timing error.... am i defective?
    .... and then its like.... its already slow.... so my usual routine of playing things slow then speeding things up again doesnt work

the funny thing is i have no problem with playing fast johnny marr style arpeggios

2. elpueblosound

elpueblosound Member

a great guitar teacher once told me:
    "Playing fast is easy, playing slow is also easy, but playing mid speed AND in tempo? now that is hard"

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

alright good to know it wasn't just me and this will take more than just a day of practice

4. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Playing slow is harder than playing fast. Playing slow exposes every musical flaw in your playing, and not just technique. Slow songs are harder to hold together, but they can teach you a lot about phrasing. It's usually the phrasing that is off when the song falls apart.

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

Yup, playing slow is tougher. For the ultimate test, try a really slow 24 bar Blues. It separates the novice from the polished players for sure!