Playing Soul horn lines on guitar?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Bossanova, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

hi folks, noob question. on songs like "hold on i'm coming" how do you go about harmonizing guitar lines to mimic the horn?

ie, my 4-piece rock band wants to cover that, with one guitar on rhythm and the other playing the 4-note figure. Do i start with single notes, then add a harmony on top? which one/how?

ty!

2. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

What id do....play that intro melody line single line...not trying to sound like Horns...but sound like a nice guitar.
    The rythem thingy they do further..id find some nice voicings to the chords doing that rythem pattern..again something that works on a guitar....maybe copy the topline of the original.

Sascha Franck likes this.
  3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Whatever works. Just copy. All those Stax songs are fun...even Mustang Sally (haven't found a bass player yet that plays the right line. Pitch it up an octave and listen).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Washburnmemphis likes this.
  4. cram

cram Member

Think of the instrument - breath.
    The punch of the tongue and lips letting pressure blast through the reed.
    Horn sections live in harmony - they play off each other and understand intervals.
    They have a roll and trill technique too that is present in the tune you cited.
    That song you mention - the harmonies are fairly easy to pick out and mimic with your voice. Do that to bridge things you're uncertain with.

If you want to get deep about it - pay attention to phrasing from jazz guys who have played alongside them. It's impossible not to have that influence when you're playing with a good sax player or section. It's nearly my favorite thing to be playing along with.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  5. cram

cram Member

Oh and tone tricks - thicken with fuzz, but not too much fuzz/drive.
    Use an octave split or up/down (I have a foxrox octron that helps) - totally puts punch on it. Don't kill your amp though with the low end. Let PA take that.
    :)

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. Todd griesenbeck

Todd griesenbeck Member

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

On the chorus parts I would just play a single line (like the horns, take the top line). In the verses where you have horn pads figure out the three-note ensemble chord and play it in your DGB strings.

Typical horn arrangements are best covered with chords that include the root, third and seventh (key of A; A7, D7, E7) where you keep the notes in the same position as much as possible.

|----------------------
    |----8----7----9----------
    |----6----5----7----------
    |----7----7----9----------
    |----------------------
    |----------------------

or

|----------------------
    |----14----13----15----------
    |----12----11----13----------
    |----14----12----14----------
    |----------------------