Playing 'Survivor' with guitar collection. 'thinning the herd'

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teledude55, May 28, 2015.

1. teledude55

teledude55 Member

so I currently have 5 electrics, 2 Acoustics and want to get down to 3 Electrics.
    I need to buy an amp so...
    currently have:
    '90 LP Std
    '05 SG '61 RI
    '06 Eric Johnson Strat
    '06 AVRI Hot Rod '52 Tele
    DeArmond Guild Starfire Special.

The LP and Tele are both tied for my #1 so neither of them are going anywhere.
    I put the DeArmond on Craigslist today.
    Down to the SG and Strat on which gets voted off the island..

it is a brutal decision...I love them both for different reasons, the SG can just rip and is so easy to play. The Strat sounds amazing and is the best Strat I've ever owned- I've owned 8 of them over the years, including 2 Custom Shops.

I decided to let fate make the decision for me...listed both and whichever sells first I'll keep the other.

has anyone else struggled with these decisions?

2. RockDC

RockDC Member

Why the rush to thin the herd?

3. teledude55

teledude55 Member

need to buy an amp and 5 guitars is a bit much for me as I'm not gigging these days.

4. dmkz

dmkz Member

What stage of the game are you in? I personally wouldn't want to vote off the SG only to have it on the jury. You don't want to take the strat to the end with you cause it'll get votes all day long. But if it's pre merge....

Seriously though, I'm also in herd thinning mode and it's tough. Get rid of the ones you play the least. Or don't. If you don't NEED the money, or don't NEED to buy another guitar, then just make sure you have a versatile backup guitar left.

SPROING! likes this.
  5. teledude55

teledude55 Member

yeah, I've had the SG the longest and have put some dough into it, (Lollars, Plek Job, Electronics, Bone Nut)
    The Strat is my latest purchase and although I love it, I haven't bonded with it as much as I have the other guitars.
    as far as my stage these days, I'm a middle aged guy who just loves to jam at home and occasionally with friends...nothing serious. Just seeking the TONE. If I had to choose between the two I would probably keep the SG...I think you helped me realize that.
    Thanks!

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Then, I'd lose the strat.

teledude55 likes this.
  7. dmkz

dmkz Member

One of my first guitars ever was an Epiphone SG and I absolutely loved it, but I traded it for a Strat and have regretted it ever since. That one didn't last long.

Most recently I traded in my last Strat for a PRS Brent Mason and I'm not looking back.

Good luck!

teledude55 likes this.
  8. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

"High on You" played in my head when I read the thread title.