Playing Sweet Home Alabama at a gig. Your opinion?

Swee Holm Alerbamers at a gig?

• Yes

Votes: 290 59.1%
  • Nay.

Votes: 201 40.9%

• Total voters

Scottunes

"Playing Sweet Home Alabama at a gig. Your opinion?"

If it's an interesting arrangement, why not! I don't like "copy-cat" covers, and won't play 'em. Live jukebox isn't for me... But, playing a good arrangement of a popular tune is ok, and keeps it interesting for the band. Just my 2 cents...

gigs

Maybe you have not done the cover band thing but the song choice process can be gruelling, weighing pros, cons and personal philosophies.
Playing whatever you want is rarely an option.
Been doing it for about 40 yrs. I was referring to "you" as the band. I understand the song selection process and agony very well.

johnny q

I think if it's presented right and played respectfully and properly - it always goes over well. My band plays it in medley: Werewolves Of London-->All Summer Long--> Sweet Home. I make sure to play the guitar solos note for note. It's a simple tune, but easy to butcher (based on how many bands I have seen butcher it.)

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
It was always in the first set of one of my cover bands.
It's overplayed because people want to hear it.

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
I was in the “meh” crowd until I sat down and learned how to play it properly. There’s a ton of bad@$$ musicianship in that tune. No doubt.

It’s harder than it sounds and fun to play. And the peeps dig it.

Brad8008135

Silver Supporting Member
If I lived in the northern US or genteel Canada as many of you do, I'd probably vote no. But Alabama is my home, so as the token Alabamian, I'll vote yes.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Its over-played. But its fun to play, and most people enjoy it right? So, do you think it's over played to the point its annoying? Or so you think its a good iconic song to get peoples attention?

Honestly. I've never played a gig and don't have a band. But I want to at some point down the road. Just for fun, play some southern-rock covers. Try to have a good time you know?
It's a great song with a great riff. When playing a gig, you're there for the audience as much as you're there for your love of music. I haven't learned it yet but it's on our band's list of future songs. We currently do Simple Man.

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member
It is really good if you mix the lyrics to "Werewolves of London" with the SHA backdrop and play and sing between the two of them. Good crowd snatcher...

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
Do people cheer when you play it? Do you get paid when playing it? I say tell the haters to have a coke and a smile and......(reference Eddie Murphy's Richard Pryor/Bill Cosby bit for the rest of that sentence).

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
Overplayed. We pass, and as with other requests we’re not doing (eg, “Play some Hendrix!”) I’ll sometimes say “we honor him by letting his sound live on in our memory.” Translation: no: we’re not playing that.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I've never played it in a band, and don't think I ever would. Bands that I enjoy who do covers don't seem to play it.
But I don't object to whatever you want to do. It's a cool song, fun to play.

ford

Modz
Staff member
There are a LOT of other songs that I find more intolerable. Sweet Home is a fun song to play with some cool riffs. People love it. I have no problem with it. Now, if you ask me about Brown Eyed Girl, Margaritaville, or Mustang Sally...................
Mustang Sally is the worst....

Sweet Home Alabama done right is always a good time.

Trending Topics