Playing through a head with a load and no speaker and I hear sound from the head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gallery, May 21, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I've got my 5e3 plugged into the Aracom. The Aracom is set to load. No speaker is hooked up. When I strum the guitar I hear noise coming from the head. It's a very faint buzzy amplified sound of the guitar that gets louder when I turn up the amp volume and quieter when I down the amp volume.

Is this normal?

I usually have the line out running to the Torpedo CAB or the DAW and headphones on so I've never noticed this before now.

wizard_23 likes this.
  2. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Absolutely.
    It's the output transformer.
    Not to worry at all.

If you turn the amp a bit down it will stop.
    But it's totally normal and won't harm anything.

wizard_23 likes this.
  3. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Magnetic materials such as transformer iron stretch and contract with varying magnetic fields ... exactly what you have in a transformer, so it will (poorly) reproduce what you are playing through it.
    Normally swamped by what a real speaker puts out, in a silent Lab it can be heard.
    All transformers do it by the way, a power transformer is always "playing" 50/60 Hz which you hear as a faint hum.
    As a side curiosity, power transistors also "sing", although in that case it's the crystal vibrating, not unlike a Piezo tweeter.