• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Playing with truncated fingers (Iommi, slight return)

AdmiralB

Got an email from an old friend the other day. He'd lost about a half-inch of his left ring finger due to an interaction with a lawn mower. It's healed well, and they put a pad of tissue taken from his palm over the end...but now he's having trouble adjusting to playing.

The major complaints are, the end is now much thicker and flatter than before, which makes it difficult to stop only a single string. And the 'pad' - which of course has no feeling or sensation - is too 'squishy'. He's tried a silicone 'thimble' he found at a music store, but it's too compressible.

I was thinking Iommi had used some plastic thimbles and glued thin leather over the ends...anyone here have (or know someone who has) a similar injury, and if so, how have you dealt with it?

Last edited:

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Got an email from an old friend the other day. He'd lost about a half-inch of his left ring finger due to an interaction with a lawn mower. It's healed well, and they put a pad of tissue taken from his palm over then end...but now he's having trouble adjusting to playing.

The major complaints are, the end is now much thicker and flatter than before, which makes it difficult to stop only a single string. And the 'pad' - which of course has no feeling or sensation - is too 'squishy'. He's tried a silicone 'thimble' he found at a music store, but it's too compressible.

I was thinking Iommi had used some plastic thimbles and glued thin leather over the ends...anyone here have (or know someone who has) a similar injury, and if so, how have you dealt with it?
I cut about 1/4 inch off my left middle finger and they basically did the same operation. This is before I started playing, and actually played lefty for a few weeks at first. I flipped it around and started playing with bandaids over it at first, but eventually I adjusted. Some chords are still more difficult because its shorter and the numbness, but mind over matter. Tell him to keep pushing and imo he will adjust over time. Have to build callous before it stops hurting.

nunpuncher

cut my middle ring and pinkie tips off.. grew me middle from my palm and ring and pinky from my stomach.. took lot of years off.. started back just in classical for few years. been back to electric for 3 years now.. I use 8s on. t g b e strings and 9s on my e a D strings to protect my tips..when ever I get cuts or nicks on my tips I use the little blue rubber tip covers they sell in the Walmart sewing section. they work pretty dang good. no problem playing leads with them.. sometimes in clean picked out passages I kinda accidentally mute strings that are supposed to ring.. but that's a small price to pay I guess... feel free to have your friend pm me I will offer all the cheats and hacks I have came up to keep playing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom