Pleasant Surprise This Morning!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Axekisser, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

My buddy has had a Variax for over a year or so and just never bonded with it. I played it at practice a couple of weeks ago and it had a terrible set-up so I did a set-up on it. He's mainly an acoustic player so he gives me 12s with a wound "G." I do the set-up, cut the nut, set the action and adjust the truss rod. No problems.

I figure what the heck might as well "shake it out" during my Sunday AM Church gig. I have to tell you that the axe played great! Being able to switch between a "Lester" and a 12 string "Rick" in the same song was really enlightening. The "T-model"and "Spank" were good too.

My signal chain was a very simple board (Comp, Sans Amp, TS, Chorus, Phase, Lex verb) in to my '71 non verb Princeton.

The Variax stayed in tune, had no hum and really surprised me with its versatility. I usually use an EJ, ASAT, CT6M or Carvin Bolt and a Variax won't replace those but it is useful. Really surprised me how the audience and fellow guitar players noticed how good it sounded.

Bad thing is now I'll have to buy one!! Perfect for a Church gig.

2. 777

777 Member

Which model is it? I've been playing the 300 in church too & I'm surprised how good it is. I just bought a Les Paul R7 & although it might do the Les Paul a bit better, the versatility of the Variax is very appealing.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

It's the 300. After the set-up I was really impressed how well it played. I really liked the Lester model on the bridge through my tube Screamer and Sans Amp.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I actually like how these fit me. Lots of room on the playing surface, too.
    I don't need all the versatility and I think the tones are good but vaguely....vague. Not all the tones are winners either, but somehow I need to use one for a while. The top ones are really expensive:(

5. NoahL

NoahL Member

Question for you, mdd59 -- and I'm quite serious here. I'm not a churchgoer, so I don't really know what "worship music" is -- at least, where you'd want the sound of a Les Paul bridge pickup through a Tube Screamer. But I read so many guys referring to playing their axes in church.

Again, I'm not being disrespectful -- just really curious. What are these tunes like? And what kind of service? Where do they fit in? Point me to mp3s if you like.

Sincere thanks.

6. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

NoahL,

Thanks for the question!

I'd go to You Tube and do a search for Lincoln Brewster, Paul Baloche, or Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). That should give you a general idea. It's really like Church "pop." Much of it is really driven by modern, crunchy guitars. Hope that helps!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7SMUf6QcyQ

7. NoahL

NoahL Member

Cool stuff! Now I understand. Thanks!

8. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

You're welcome! Anytime!

9. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Did you try the banjo or acoustic settings?

10. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

No I didn't as I was going through my Princeton and didn't have the split to the house. I tried them at home and they weren't bad but wouldn't replace your Taylor or Martin! I imagine they'd work well enough for a live show going direct.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

that's very cool!

12. 777

777 Member

I have. It sounds good, but I have not yet found a practical use for it, other than to make the other members of the band laugh. The sitar is pretty cool & I might actually find a use for that.

The acoustics, on the other hand have been convincing enough to fool guitar players. Very nice.

13. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Some of these Church groups are great..seen some on the TV.. really rockin out...not like you would think..

Rick