PLEASE ADVISE!! Complete Recording Noob!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mikenixon316, Mar 10, 2008.

1. mikenixon316

mikenixon316 Member

I need to get some software/hardware to be able to record song demos on my laptop.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not looking for anything uber-professional or ridiculously expensive. I just want to make decent quality recordings and mixes of my guitars, bass, keyboard and vocals.

I've had expereince with pro-tools while recording with bands in the past but I don't want anything that's that complex, in-depth or expensive with a load of features that I'll never use!

I just want to be able to jump into recording at home quickly and easily.

I've been looking at the Cakewalk:Sonar thing in terms of software, and possibly the Line6 toneport for a hardware interface.

I'm I looking in the right direction here? Any Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. mikenixon316

mikenixon316 Member

...by the way I'm on windows XP not a mac

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I'm thinking Reaper or Mackie Tracktion would be good software solutions for you. Both are fairly easy and straightforward and not too expensive. Tracktion is probably the easiset to grasp since Reaper does have a lot of menus and such.

Sonar gets pretty deep, but they have some intro level software as well. I have to be honest and say I've been a Sonar user for years, but I'm not all that happy with them lately as their audio engine keeps getting more and more bloated.

How many preamps do you need for recording? Are you needing something like 8 to be able to mic drums or something smaller like 2 or 4? There are literally dozens of options, so we'll need to narrow it down a bit.