Please advise entry level computer

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

I need to know some specs for a DAW for my home studio.

I'd like to just go out to a computer warehouse and buy what I need. I don't think I can depend on the sales people knowing their stuff about DAW's. I just don't want to end up with a computer that won't meet my needs or that isn't versatile. Basically I need to know what to ask for.

This is all I know about it so far:

-Windows platform - PCI Audio Interface (2 to 4 mic preamps)
    -Software: I'll probably start out using Cakewalk or Acid Pro or something.

-I'll be recording and overtracking myself mostly -Someday but something
    I can record the whole band with.

-I have an ADATxt and would like to buy an interface to archive
    and remix some of the old stuff if needed.

-I already have mixers, mics, etc. that I've been using with my ADAT.

Any info would be helpful and appreciated,
    Thanks, Bruce

2. Brusco

Brusco Member

cpokay, I appreciate your help on this one. I was reading about your "Cube PC" on another thread and thought what a cool Idea! You've done your homework and now you're helping others in the process. Thankyou very much!

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

If you're intent on recording using 24 bits I suggest a larger hard drive--at least 80gb, and a DVD recorder for making backups. 24 bit recordings require a lot of media space.

There are a number of companies building decent daws for $1000 and under, but you usually have to provide your own soundcard. Sweetwater announced their daw production recently, and it looks like what they have to offer is pretty good in the areas of quality and design. They're using a P4 platform and taking extra care to make sure that quiet drives are used with auralex soundproofing.

M-Audio is leading the industry as of now in the area of affordable soundcards. They offer a few in the $300-$500 range that will suit your needs, but there are quite a few other selections. If I were you I would stick to a PCI card and avoid USB or Firewire interfaces.

I'm using Sonar4 to record with and consider it as good as any product available. Homestudio is a good program too, but lacks the outstanding pro features of Sonar. If you have any use for MIDI sequencing Sonar is the ticket.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Umm, why do you say that?

5. jnavas

jnavas Guest

If you go with Sonar, please let us know how it works out. I have been curious about Sonar for a while. A good friend swears by it, but I haven't been back home to check it out. The files he sends me do sound pretty good.

6. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Because Sonar4 has excellent MIDI editing and control features, whereas Homestudio has more limitations in what can be accomplished with MIDI.

7. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

if you do go with a pci card, they take space, even the EMU 1212m takes up the space of 2 slots, and if you plan to add some of the excellent UAD hw plug-ins, they take up pci slots, so the cube form factor may be a limitation, depending on your needs.

there's pretty good pc hardware info. over here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat....page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1#360675

though it may be PT SW specific.

8. Brusco

Brusco Member

Ok, Now my head is really spinning. Thanks for the great Link tedm. Maybe I should consider one of the Sweetwater DAW's. I think I need to talk to someone there who knows what will work best for me. I have plenty of studio gear and really only need what's necessary to get me computerized. $1500 is in the budget at most. I'd like to phase out the ADAT if possible.. I don't like the mechanical aspects of it..it has become a pain in the ass and temperamental. But at the same time I'd like to archive alot of my ADAT recordings or even remix some of my past recordings.
    Looks like I still have alot of homework to do. decisions decisions..thanks everyone.

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

When I phased out my adat, I used a Terratec EWS88D soundcard. In addition to archiving your adat tapes, you can use the adat as a adc/dac until you get squared away with the new interface.

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

A lot of the current cards have ADAT interfaces. Also, check out the local home recording forums, chances are someone local or a studio for a small charge would be willing to help you out with archiving your ADAT stuff. Some folks still use it and produce good music with it as well. (Yo La Tengo has a great CD out that was done on an ADAT).

11. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Hello from the future...
    I so enjoy running my $200 version of Logic Pro X on my Mac, you won't believe what you can do with this program and a laptop in 2017.
    :)

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

there shall be only one
    apple

13. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

I could think of better messages to send to the past......

14. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Just had my first i7 7700k pc built with Thunderbolt 3.
    Asus.
    NOT Apple.

I learned my lesson after buying an fx and watching it become obsolete within a year.

15. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

But you really need to be careful, or you could change the course of history.

soulohio likes this.
  16. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

Switch to . Get the 700 dollar version of the mac mini (more ram and processing power than the base one).

Use the free Garageband. Upgrade to Logic later...

soulohio likes this.
  17. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

I knew the apple fan boys would take this over.
    I too have an apple computer running $200 version of logic.
    It isn't anything special. It can't be the future, it's already here and been here for years.

18. griggsterr

$700 is the base one, then you need to add ram and memory and most of the NEW mac minis you cannot upgrade the memory.
    They come new with a whopping 4200rpm hard drive just like in 2004.

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  19. griggsterr

at leas an SSD or it won't hardly do squat without locking up. Plus you will have to have some one install the SSD. I build computers when I need to. and after I watched the youtube video on how to put an SSD in that mac mini, I said nope. I will pay someone to do it.
    So now I have $1000 in that mac mini, before software some of which won't work because I upgraded to the latest OS.

20. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

No man...the base one is 500. The 700 dollar one is Good Enough To Record With.