Please compare/contrast Matchless Clubman and SC/DC/HC30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cg, Feb 27, 2008.

1. cg

cg Member

What songs would be reference points for each? I am more familiar with the DC/SC30. Am I on track with associating Clubmans with a bigger cleaner sound? Could you cover Social Distortion with a Clubman?

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

They are radically different amps. The Clubmans have a scooped tone that is quite a bit different than the HC30. Go and listen to Scott Hendersons Dog Party. I think that album was mostly recorded with a clubman. It has its own sound but different than the EL84 of the 30 series. It also eats EL34s for lunch.

I wouldn't want to cover social D with anything but a marshall.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Two different amps for sure, but the Clubman doesn't sound scooped to me. I have a Clubman and my friend Jujo has a HC30, both are great but are not interchangable. I find the Clubamn has a ton of low end (sometimes too much) the tone gets thicker and thicker as you turn up. Beyone 1 o'clock on the master it doesn't really get any louder. It is loud for a 35 - 40 watt amp, not sure if the HC300 is louder though.

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I think I can answer these questions for you as I'm own both a HC-30 and Clubman. As you can probably tell by my nickname - I'm a Social Distortion nut too!

To answer the first question - IMO, either amp will do a great Social Distortion tone. It won't be the exact tones on their albums - but, they both can do it with ease, IMO.

As far as the Clubman vs. C-30 series they are very different amps BUT, both retain that classic Matchless tone - chime, complexity, clarity, punch, greasy harmonics, gritty where you need it, and chimey where you need it.

The C-30s series will have much more chime and jangle than the Clubman. More Vox like tones, but on steriods. Both channels have plenty of drive. The "top boost" style channel excells and classis Vox like tones with chime and jangle when clean, and plenty of greasy dirty tones. The EF86 channel is an absolute animal. Thicker and richer midrange. Not as much headroom on this channel either. Plenty of dirt for hard rock tones.

The Clubman has a different tone and feel - but, still sounds like a Matchless. It has almost a Marshall punch and balls meets Vox chime and jangle to it. A much stouter bottom end than the C-30. Wonderful chimey cleans, but the dirty tones are absolutely amazing, IMO. Very wide range and interactive eq section too (as with the C-30s). Great "crushed glass in honey" tones - if that makes sense.

I can't recommend either amp enough. They are both stellar amps, and IMO classics in their own right. Either would work for Social Distortion tones, IMO. I'd lean a little more towards the Clubman myself. (they both also sound fantastic through closed back 4x12s!).

I hope that helps!

6. cg

cg Member

You guys are great! Thanks!!

7. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Clubman--Smallbox Plexi+AC30+Hiwatt all mixed in. The 30 series sounds like a greasier AC30 on steroids.