Please compare current Charvels and Wayne Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RJ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RJ

RJ Member

So i'm having a tough time deciding on a new Charvel, San Dimas type maybe and a Wayne Guitars Rock Legend.

Are all the Wayne Guitars hand made by Wayne and Michael only?

How do the new Charvels compare?

2. waylay00

waylay00 Member

I'd like to hear opinions on this too.

3. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I'm curious too. I still have a Jazz bass Wayne made for me back in the 80's when he lived in So. Cal. It has the W.C. name he was using at the time. I'm really glad I never happened to sell it--it needs some fixin' up, but it's really cool. He had redone a couple of trucks (perfect paint jobs of course) and one in particular--a white early 60's Chevy Fleetside--I really liked. I've kicked myself many times for not buying it when I had the chance (well I'd probably have to have talked my dad into loaning me the money). Wayne is a super nice guy--I wish I'd kept in touch. Looks like from his web site he and his son are doing pretty good! I remember meeting his son--he was just a little kid back then :D

-Rocky

4. DC1

DC1 Member

Wayne is a prince and if you want the personal touch, it's an easy call.

DC

5. RJ

RJ Member

Yeah, I figured. I've played a few San Dimas ones and I even liked the feel of the EVH, but after researching about Wayne, it seems natural that if its personally made by him, it's gotta be good. I did read somewhere that the Waynes are a little inconsistent, like the necks vary from guitar to guitar.
    Since I don't plan on taking a trip to Paradise, CA anytime soon, i won't be able to try any out.

Also any insight on the collectability of these Waynes in the future? My guess is high.

6. rooster

rooster Member

FWIW, I got to play one once. For a shredder-type guitar, it was fantastic. Great playability (if you like a really flat fretboard, although I prefer the 12" radius), great sound, great fit and finish. Don't know about the resale, but if I played the ridiculously fast stuff (OK, if I COULD play the really fast stuff), I would've snapped it up at $850 (what the guy was selling it for 2 years ago).

Something magic about the smaller companies. The necks probably vary because they are all handmade. But there's something to be said for adapting a bit to a good instrument -- sometimes it brings something out of you that you didn't know you had.

rooster.

7. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I've owned 3 Wayne Rock Legend's, a 2H bullseye, a 2H exotic top and a VHII model, both were superior guitars, incredible tone and the neck carve was amazing. I was sorry to see them go. All had the old headstock style and trussrod access near the neck heel.

I've owned 2 San Dimas reissues. A 2H solid Koa pointy, and a strat head 1H in Robins Egg blue. Both were nice guitars but lacked the feel of the Wayne's

IMHO there isn't any comparison between a Wayne and a new SD reissue, the Wayne is superior in every aspect. Fretwork on the Wayne is so far beyond what you see on the SD's it's not even a fair comparison. Also the neck carve is superior IMHO. The Wayne's sounded better to me as well.

The Wayne's however, are considerably more expensive.

8. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

dont rule out gmw if its the neck carve you seek........