Please compare the Shiva, Superdrive 30 and JVM for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dirty145, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dirty145

dirty145 Member

I'm in a lost cloud here and not quite sure the differences between many of these amps. Anyone have experience playing all 3? I understand the wattage differences, but tell me about the tone differences.

I plan on playing a Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom through this puppy and I DON"T play heavy metal or anything. Looking for a great clean and overdrive/distortion. I do play a lot of classic rock but nothing that gets into that "hairy" distortion realm. I would also be playing a Strat at times as well. Currently using the FD2 and OCD for my distortion playing through a Fender HRDeville 410 which has great cleans, but terrible distortion. I did get it modded by Omega Amps and it sounds much better but would love to get something else. Please give me an honest analysis. Thanks!!!!

2. digital jams

digital jams Member

The JVM is more than a metal amp, you can get convincing jcm 800 and Plexi type tones from it. But it sounds like you would never use od1 or od2. Amp cleans up prety darn good.

That said I would direct you towards the Shiva.

What do you play music wise?

3. dirty145

dirty145 Member

I play what I guess could be characterized by a "Southern Rock" type of sound. I like vintage tones/ blues tones and while I do enjoy metal, I don't play or have a use for a metal channel

4. digital jams

digital jams Member

The Budda would be my choice, nice marshall type amp to cover what you play.

5. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I would probably say the Shiva is your best best. It has the best cleans of the bunch. The Superdrive 30 has an amazing lead tone - great classic rock. I might even say it edges out the Shiva in that territory, but overall, the Shiva's going to do it best for Southern Rock type stuff. I've played the JVM a few times - it just has that great Marshall lead screaming tone in the mids and enough gain to get those squealing pinched harmonics but that's not really the stuff you're into. And I wasn't that impressed with the JVM cleans at all.

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I agree with the Budda as well - although the Shiva is a great sounding amp. I'm a Superdrive 30 head owner myself. The Shiva is just a little to compressed sounding for my tastes. It's been a while since I've played one but, I also remember the bottom end/low mids being a bit much for my tastes as well. I haven't played the JVM.Try all if you have the chance.

7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

The JVM sounds like way overkill for your needs. However, I like the JVM cleans very much. My Jazz box through the Clean Green channel is my favorite of all of my amps.

9. dirty145

dirty145 Member

Ok, so it looks like I can probably push the JVM out of the running. I guess there is a lot of debate between the Shiva and Superdrive 30. Are these amps in the same class?

10. reddog112

reddog112 Member

I own the Budda SD30 II 1x12 and have the matching 1x12 closed back. I also play similar music. I run the clean a little hot and it cleans up nicely with the volume on the guitar. Neck pickup on my Les Paul gives me great Allman type tone (wide open for lead, 6-8 for rhythm). The lead channel is very versatile and kicks some serious ass IMO. The Budda also gets along with my Strat well. I have found that the Tubescreamer type OD's dont get along as well as a transparent type OD. I have a Barber LTD and traded away the FD2 (too much mid). The Shiva is helluva amp also. One other thing the master volume on the Budda works well...good thing because it is LOUD!

I played the JVM and liked it also. Alot of knobs though! Budda=plug and play. The only bummer with the SD is no verb

11. Skykrab

Skykrab Member

I've got both the EL- 34 Shiva 1 x 12 Combo w/Reverb & SD-30 V 1 PTP. Both Are equally good...Gain a bit better on the SD-30 and of course the Shiva'a clean are unmatched (Budda is also very good but) I could not pick so i kept both...I've played the JVM...Not even in the same league...IMHO

12. dirty145

dirty145 Member

Lol, that seems to be the consensus. Are there any other amps I should be considering that are in the same price range. Not sure if I am looking new or used yet.

13. mims2

mims2 Member

If you would like a Budda SD30 I have one for sale.
    PM sent

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

hm. this is a fairly common thing that people say around here. if you don't mind, what exactly do you prefer about Budda gain? and Shiva clean?

15. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

+1 vote on the Budda. I have the SD 18 combo, and a JVM. The JVM is a very good amp, but there is a lot of it that goes unused. I would n't mind trading mine for a JCM 800. The Budda's are great. I had a EL-34 Shiva and it is a good amp, but in my opinion a bit overhyped. If Southern Rock sound is your thing I would consider the Budda, Aiken, Reinhardt, Goodsell, Germino, or even a Marshall Bluesbreaker (although heavy + big) or the Marshall 1974x. Something in the 18 watt Marshall clone territory.

16. dirty145

dirty145 Member

Nice set of amps you got there!!!!