Please educate an idiot on a tweed deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiestaRed, Aug 1, 2008.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a Richter 5E3 and I can't seem to get an a good sound out of it. I must confess I have never owned anything like this amp -- I'm a Marshall user. Please help me anything usable out of this amp. It seems really dark and bass heavy. I'm using a Les Paul with Dr Vs.

Which channels should I jumper? Which inputs do are hot? What are the secrets to using this amp?

I truly am an idiot

-Mark

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Just a virgin.

3. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

Here's my recipe for my Fender Tweed Deluxe RI. I plug my R7 Les Paul with the same pickups you have into intrument input 1, set the amp instrument volume at 4-1/2, amp mic volume off, amp tone at 9, guitar volume at 4 for clean and turn the guitar up anywhere above 4 for the amount of dirt you desire. The amp is very responsive to touch as you can pick lightly and clean it up or dig in and get more breakup. This works great for me. A tweed deluxe by nature has a big airy low end and the breakup is pretty raw. I love this combination.

4. Trout

Trout Member

I have owned one nearly 2 years now.

Basically I use a Strat 90% of the time.

Input #4 is generally the best.
    I run the tone set at or around 8-9.
    Volume control #2 set at 2-3, then raise the un-used volume control up to around 7-9 depending on how clean I want.

5E3's tend to be bass heavy unless mods are applied. (Cap Swap)
    When I jumper mine, I use a jumper cord between jacks 2 & 3. This offers the most boost on the Richter.

Next thing would be swapping out the speaker for something brighter, A P12Q might be more to taste with Humbuckers.

One of the TGP brothers seems to get some pretty sweet tones with humbuckers, You might want to drop him a note for tips. Otaypanky.

He has some cool clips on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Gwojia6Ws

5. goodsal

goodsal Supporting Member

Don't be afraid to crank the tone all the way to 12. It acts almost as a gain control. I keep mine at 12 all the time, even with a Telecaster, it's never too bright. Just plug into Instrument #1, keep the mic volume off and increase the instrument volume until you're just breaking up. This is usually around 4 with a single coil, and at 2 with buckers. Increasing the volume from there just adds gain, not volume. Get the tone you like, then experiment with the unused volume control.

6. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

One thing I have found with my Richter is that the cable I use is critical. I get my best results with George L's cables. My monster cables gave me a tone like mud at anything lower than max volume on the guitar control. The George L's retain some of the highs at lower guitar volumes. Check out the YouTube video with my Tele
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LAJqkWnVxg
    I know it's kind of boring, but halfway through I turn it up a little, then back down again, and you can hear how I get nice clean sounds when I lay back and then some grit with a harder playing attack. You can hear it in this one too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Gwojia6Ws
    I never bother jumping the channels. Just when I think I have found the perfect settings, I have found something just as cool the following week. It's so simple with just 3 controls, but so complex at the same time.