Please educate me on these compressors: MP FGC v BF PGC v BJF PGC

smawer

I like to play.
Friends...

I'm looking for a replacement for my Diamond Compressor... and it seems either one of these might be the ticket....

but I'm somewhat confused.. I know these pedal circuits are some how related.. but can anyone tell me why I should go one over the other.. and how different the circuits are?

Thanks!
Simon

zztomato

Friends...

I'm looking for a replacement for my Diamond Compressor... and it seems either one of these might be the ticket....

but I'm somewhat confused.. I know these pedal circuits are some how related.. but can anyone tell me why I should go one over the other.. and how different the circuits are?

Thanks!
Simon
Pale green and Pine green are the same, although, the Bearfoot has been revised to allow more compression- still fairly subtle. I personally liked the BF pale green over the Diamond- by a small margin though. The FGC I believe is similar but also has a sustain feature. The tone/body control on the PGC is very unique in that it doesn't just add treble and cut bass or vies versa. Example fully clockwise you get both a bass and treble increase. To the left of centre you get a more typical attenuation of high frequencies.
It's a cool compressor/tone shaper.

smawer

I like to play.
thanks for that!.

Looks like the PGC might be the ticket - although, the sustain feature on the on the FGC looks cool (pretty pricey though!).

jazzfromhell

thanks for that!.

Looks like the PGC might be the ticket - although, the sustain feature on the on the FGC looks cool (pretty pricey though!).
Check out the PCB version of the FGC. Its actually an improvement over the (still excellent) hand-wired version and its way cheaper.

smawer

I like to play.
Check out the PCB version of the FGC. Its actually an improvement over the (still excellent) hand-wired version and its way cheaper.

Oh i didnt realize they had one.. yep, that's a lot more 'affordable'...
do you have an opinion as to FGC v PGC ?

hdahs143

Silver Supporting Member
Just curious, but have you tried running the Diamond at 18 volts?

I ran mine for years at 9 volts, but recently switched to 18 volts and was stunned at the difference. Cleaner, clearer, more sparkle, and a little less compression at the same settings. Just more natural.

jazzfromhell

Oh i didnt realize they had one.. yep, that's a lot more 'affordable'...
do you have an opinion as to FGC v PGC ?
Not really. Ive just heard other people play the PGC, never tried it myself.

The FGC I love because of the sustain/comp knob. It makes it insanely versatile. From the lightest "tone enhancer a la opto comp"-setting to full-on country squish.... this pedal can do it all. Small footprint too.

smawer

I like to play.
Just curious, but have you tried running the Diamond at 18 volts? I ran mine for years at 9 volts, but recently switched to 18 volts and was stunned at the difference. Cleaner, clearer, more sparkle, and a little less compression at the same settings. Just more natural.
I haven't - perhaps I should.

The main reason I'm looking to replace the Diamond is because of its size.. ive got no pedalboard space left!

If the PGC or FGC can do what the diamond does in a smaller package, i'll be a happy man.. but the idea of making the Diamond even more transparent than it already is sounds terrific. thanks for the tip!

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
the PGC will also do 18v if you like....

FYI

The BearFoot PGC is being upgraded again and will start with current orders ( its been in backorder for a few weeks while we made sure and got ready) ....

It will now even exceed the BJFe PGC in boosting gain and compressing ability.... so each knob can be used to its fullest as booster, EQ and compressor ~ independantly or as one.

(Yes I will be switching out the Tourbox PGCs shortly :beer )

AND just so you know going in ~ there will also be a 4 knob PGC. It will take the compression ability well into the 'effect' range that some people use it for - it will compress and sustain so much that it NEEDS a decay knob to riegn it in as needed. That will probably be a limited run version as I dont know how many people want that much squeeze - but it would replace your Ebow :crazy )

ejkennedy

When does the 4 knob become available? I will buy one.

the PGC will also do 18v if you like....

FYI

The BearFoot PGC is being upgraded again and will start with current orders ( its been in backorder for a few weeks while we made sure and got ready) ....

It will now even exceed the BJFe PGC in boosting gain and compressing ability.... so each knob can be used to its fullest as booster, EQ and compressor ~ independantly or as one.

(Yes I will be switching out the Tourbox PGCs shortly :beer )

AND just so you know going in ~ there will also be a 4 knob PGC. It will take the compression ability well into the 'effect' range that some people use it for - it will compress and sustain so much that it NEEDS a decay knob to riegn it in as needed. That will probably be a limited run version as I dont know how many people want that much squeeze - but it would replace your Ebow :crazy )

kirkham13

so if I order a compressor now it will have the updates... ? The glow version is back-ordered one week, while the regular paint is available...

Trending Topics