Please educate me on Unity Gain - Helix LT

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by the29band, Nov 4, 2017.

1. the29band

the29band Member

So I have read in a few places that the Helix has unity gain at helix volume knob at max. I always create patches with my LT's volume know at about 11'o clock. This applies to to both headphones patches as well as patches for playing through amp/cab. I keep the channel volume at about 5-7 (varies some by patch) and then adjust the volume at amp, if needed. I have 2 questions:

1) What is unity gain and why do we need to be at unity gain? Are there any sonic implications?
    2) If I were to max out the helix knob, where do i compensate? Channel volume? I can't imagine being able to play via headphones without doing so if I were to just max out the helix knob.

Thanks !

2. radiolab

radiolab Member

My philosophy is "if it sounds good to you, then you're doing it right".

There was a time when distorted guitars were really bad and you shouldn't turn your tube amp that loud.

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

The only time I need unity gain on my Helix is when I run it like a pedal board in front of my amp. I disable the amp modeling, run the 1/4 out at instrument level and run it on unity gain.

If I'm using it direct as an amp modeler it's not necessary.

4. the29band

the29band Member

Cool, thanks!