Please explain Snapchat and Instagram to me.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mangy71, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

If a kid already has a smart phone with texting, why would they need these apps to talk to their friends? They can already text, facetime, and send pictures. Is there any real reason, other than "all my friends have it?"

At what age would you let your child use these apps?

I know - I am an old guy yelling at clouds. :bonk

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Isn't snapchat the one that deletes the communication permanently shortly afterwards by default? Basically, so you can do stupid stuff without an audit trail.

Instagram, to me is totally pointless - basically just a collection of picture someone likes.

3. badger146

badger146 Member

i dont think you understand what those apps do....

MMS / picture text from phone: generally just for one person (coz you got to pay for it, more ppl, more $), plus its something quick or personal (do you like this color pants? etc)

Instagram: pretty much to brag to ALL of your friends. Here's a shot of me enjoying a coctail on a beach in Caribbean island, suck it ppl.

Snapchat: the photo is deleted automatically after a few seconds with no trace (or so they said). so you can send anything to your friends.

they're different, you dont play rolland jazz chorus on a metal gig, or a mesa recto on a jazz gig just because "its all just an amp"

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

My daughter likes instagram because I don't---It doesn't get monitored in the same way FB does.

5. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Quote these two for their perfect analogy and truth.

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

TGP isn't the ideal place to ask, at least half here are still on their old Nokias and just learned texting . :D

7. photoguy

photoguy Member

I only enjoy looking at pictures, so Instagram works well for me to 'network' both personally and professionally. FB is filled with too many sad puppy stories and political rants, imo.

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

On the surface, it may seem like that. To extrapolate bager416's analogy - its like saying "Blues is pointless music - it is just 3 chords".

When you look at the demographic and the medium, it is actually a perfect marketing mechanism for the fashion industry etc. Teenage kids are making $hundreds of thousands from Instagram at the moment. Manufacturers are paying them to take snapshots wearing/using their products.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/27/instagram-users-earn-income-advertising-brands

9. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I understand - but there are younger members here that actually use these apps, so I was hoping some of them would comment. I am 43 and actually pretty tech-savvy for an old guy. I just haven't kept up the last 4-5 years since Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter have taken off.

10. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Snapchat is basically to send XXX pics of yourself and/or others and have them disappear. That apparently is in question now (as if there was ever any doubt).

Instagram is as much a social phenomena as anything else. All the filters, etc.

11. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Additionally, there are services like WhatsApp, which let you aggregate all your various messaging services into one - so you can essentially meld Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, normal SMSs etc. into one chat app.

A bit like the Axe-FX of the short messaging world... ;)

12. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Unfortunately, once the smartphone shows up, app creep is real, like whack a mole.

The longer you can keep kids off screens, the better.

Instagram is chat + photo + popularity contest (owned by Facebook)

Snapchat = false security for "Send anything because it self destructs" (Except when the recipient takes a picture of the screen with another camera and reposts it , ...hey, wait, what???)

Watch out for Ask.fm accounts. A cesspool of anonymous haters.
    Keek, & Kik are also rough.

COPPA (CHildren's Online Privacy Protection Act) guidelines say 13 is the minimum age for all of these.

Now YouTube is marketing "YouTube Kids", a cute back door for hooking kids early, like Joe Camel.

13. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Hopefully they're not asking for Tinder

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Agreed! I killed FB years ago. Instagram is just like a photo diary for me and my extended family. Keeps us in touch with family who live across the country. All these apps are whatever one makes of them.

15. theroan

theroan Member

Instagram is like twitter but with pictures and filters you can put on said pictures.

Snapchat deletes any picture it receives after 10 seconds. Pretty much the "let's send private part pictures to each other" app

16. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

That was my impression of Snapchat. The only reason you would want a picture to disappear is if it is something risque. I can't think of any reason a 13 year old girl would need this app.

17. jrjones

jrjones Member

Twitter/Instagram? Their parents aren't on it. When parents got facebook it wasn't cool any longer.

Snapchat - I asked a young girl who works with me the other day why not just text it. Her response is that you can send really bad selfies and people can't keep them. I still contend that it's shady.

18. ford

ford Supporting Member

Say no to Snapchat. Kids at school get in trouble with it all the time...

19. photoguy

photoguy Member

I think snapchat has matured a little or at least it seems to have found a place with millennials for basic quick communication. I don't personally use snapchat but the young guys around me at work do. It's a convenient way for them to send pics/videos to a select group of other people. Essentially they use it in place of texting but with images. Once the recipients have seen it, poof it's gone. No clutter.

20. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

instagram is better than FB in a lot of ways.
    less old people
    less mini blogs of boring people

be carefull with snapchat some teacher got busted recently
    for sending pics of his junck to several of his 13 yo students
    one was smart she did a prt scr which saved it to her comp and showed it to her dad who
    was not impressed to say the least lol