Please explain Tap Tempo and how to utilize it

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blood5150, Jan 30, 2008.

1. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Its on a few delay pedals I have and I just havent really tried it out in a live situation....

give me the "Tap Tempo for Dummies" seminar....

Ready? Go!

2. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Guessing: Let the drummer start, tap your foot in quarters/triplets/eights to his beat?

/C

3. funkycam

funkycam Member

yup.
    you tap in the tempo & then the delay plays 1/4 or 1/8 or whatever you program it to.
    The bext thing about tap tempo is if the drummer drifts in time, you just retap 3 or 4 times & your delay times are with his tempo again.

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

maybe I will practice this with my drum machine... on most of our tunes that have rhythmic delays, I usally start the song and the drummer follows my tempo....

5. blood5150

blood5150 Member

any other comments?

6. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

I think thats about it. I use the tap for more pronounced, rhythmic delays. Its kind of required for that sort of high mix delay sound. As for the low mix delay textures, its more forgiving if there is no tap or you chose not to tap.

I guess that is the question...

7. guildchild

guildchild Member

to get absurdly specific:

1. tap your toe to the beat, but don't hit the tap pedal
    2. "practice" pivoting your foot on your heel and tap the pedal with the same tempo.
    3. i was really struggling with being on tempo, but i realized that i was off because my foot had to be lifted off the ground in order to reach the pedal. i now run a boss fs-5u OFF the pedalboard. it's only an 1.5 inches high or so. this allows your heel to be anchored and you can kinda slam on the thing without worrying about wrecking other pedals / settings. i've had that little tap pedal for 11 yrs and have mashed it to death...but it just keeps on ticking.

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

I've been wondering the opposite- how can you use delay without it?!

9. auffredou

auffredou Member

im trying to figure this out with my dd20 as well. do you just have to do it initally, and then it keeps that tempo unless you change it?

10. chandlerjenkins

chandlerjenkins Member

yes ... once you set it, it stays at that bpm until you retap...like someone above said, in case your drum slows up or speeds. . . down...that's backwards...anyways, you can make your own tap tempo with a momentary switch and a 1/4" jack, obviously if the pedal has the tap tempo feature...its just cheaper than the boss version...

11. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

Tap guitar firmly against forehead, spin, splits, repeat to taste...

12. funkycam

funkycam Member

on the super specific post above... I use a dd6 & have no prob tapping in time with my foot suspended in the air. no need to pivot off your heel.