Please explain to me the pros associated with running a stereo rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarrhinoceros, Feb 10, 2012.

1. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I am in the market for a new amp and have been contemplating buying two. I am pretty much starting over with my rig choices and have ordered a iB Modified Nova Delay and Eventide Space to add to my rig. I should receive the pedals in a day or so. I was wondering what the benefits of running a stereo-based rig are, especially with two pedals like the Space and Nova Delay.

If it matters any, I am really into experimental sounds, with heavy/pop rock sensibilities.

Thanks in advance!

2. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

Carrying another amp up the stairs to the gig in a packed room? more cables to sort out and plug in when you're up!:sarcasm

3. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

IMO stereo guitar rigs are all about you, it's purely for your personal enjoyment on stage because it just isn't going to translate out front at all. In most venues you're not even going to be able to get the sound man to devote two channels to your guitar sound, let alone count on him to pan them left and right. There is a real good chance the PA is running in mono anyways.

4. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Yeah, what you are saying is actually really true! I've had similar experiences in my gigging adventures too. If it doesn't translate, then you might be correct -- why put myself through the financial and physical trouble in the first place. Especially when I could devote that money towards a new Gibson ES 339! ;)

5. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

If you have stereo modulation (chorus, flanger), delay, and reverb...it can sound very cool...problem is pedals with stereo OUTS dont always have stereo INS...so it can be a nightmare arranging the pedals to send and recieve stereo signals...

I think it muddies it up too much...I much prefer hooking up an ext cab to my combo and running a mono signal...fuller sound from the amp and the cab...

If you have 2 good tube amps, you blend them and loose the individual character of the amp...I like the way my drri sounds, I like the way my classic 30 sounds...I dont really like how my drri and classic 30 sound together

6. inca_roads

inca_roads Member

If you're able to spread the amps out a bit it helps. The main advantage to me is having wet/dry capability, stereo modulation, or delay on one side only, etc. This can sound HUGE.

You can also A/B or pan between the two if one is set dirty and one is set clean. Lots of possibilities.

Choose the amps wisely. The EQ/mid content of each should complement each other. I always liked running a Fender & Marshall together.

Don't let the naysayers discourage you!

7. BrianK

BrianK Supporting Member

I love it. It may not be true stereo, two amps through a delay with stereo outs, but it sounds fantastic. No one else may not notice but its sounds inspiring to me and that's what's important. It helps me feel more confident. I play better with more inspiration.
    Makes it. Worth the hassle of two amps. Do it!!!!

I used to gig with 2 tweed deluxe's , that was pretty manageable. Last night I plugged theses two rigs together:bonk holy crap , that sounded AWESOME!!!! Now if I was only 25 years younger ;)

[​IMG]

b80 and spindlergallery like this.
  8. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

It can be a hassle depending on which amps/cabs you go for....or it could be fairly simple. Two small combos isn't that bad to load in an out for gigs.

Check out Buddy Miller running two small Swart combos on stage. And even if you buy two of the same combo amps, you can eq each one slightly differently, or install a different speaker into one, to give you a larger spread of sound in the EQ.

If I was a Fender amp guy (which I'm not) I'd do what Buddy does. Two combos doesn't seem that much of a hassle, and two amps run together, even if you are the only one who really here's it just sounds so much better to my ears than one!

9. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

10. kimock

kimock Member

Name three major touring acts that feature a single amp, mono guitar rig.

That's hard. . .

Name ten that feature multiple amp, stereo, w/d/w etc. .

That's easy.

11. stratton

stratton Member

I run stereo all the time. It's really fun, sounds great, and yeah, I play better when I'm having fun.

Also, I make sure that either amp is enough to do the gig by itself so they provide backup for one another and peace of mind, especially when I play out of town.

Mostly I'm using a '66 Super Reverb and a Vox AC15TBX. The Super on 3 or so and AC set to match, with a little bit of preamp grit.

12. norumba

norumba Member

currently running two SF bassman heads in stereo -- it's a great, glorious sound. I came about it since i was doing a duo with a drummer and needed to fill the sound stage; now that we added a bass player, i probably dont need it as much, but i 've grown to like it a lot.

The biggest complexity is trying to get the amps and cabs to work well in tandem. I try to make sure that they each sound good on their own, then check to see that they sound OK together without all the effects, and then adjust if needed. I find if I dial in EQs that are complementary but too different, it can sound odd depending on how wide your spread onstage is , and it can aggravate some hidden phasey issues when you bring the effects in. Plus if one side ever goes down, i need to know im good in mono mode if i have to be.

13. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I do it sometimes on some effects like univbe and chorus which does fill up a room sometimes
    and run clean and dirtier I have it to where I just have to run one more chord it is not that big of a hassle, and I find it not to where I want to do it

14. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Most of my playing is at home and I go for stereo a lot. What it gives me is dimensionality and movement and a very rich timbre. And that's not even counting what you can do with different gain structures etc.

There is a magic synergy that happens when you lash up a significant amount of radiating area and you have everything in phase and purring.
    The natural sustain, even clean, and the pressure you can get with some gain is fantastic. The guitar becomes an applicator for this pressured energy stream, and it's addictive.

My gigging life doesn't support the stereo idea as much due to space. My group has keys, two guitars, two horns three singers, and it's snug.

15. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

I got the impression that the poster wasn't in a situation where the sound man worked for him, and other people lugged his **** around. I envisioned him dragging his two amps into a bar or club and hoping it made a difference to anyone but him.

I also STILL believe that in an arena, stereo is lost even more in the cacophony of reverb and white noise. It's all very self indulgent.

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You may be right about the OP, but that changes little to me. It's not about "stereo imaging" like a hi-fi at all. It's about getting a big and interesting sound that raises the hair on your arms.

What exactly about electric guitar is not self indulgent by the way? I love that aspect. As Liberace said so wonderfully, "too much of anything is fabulous!"

17. boppstar

boppstar Member

I don't play shows in stereo due to a variety of the reasons people have previously posted here...but I when I get the opportunity to mess around with my delays/reverbs in stereo it has a 3D like effect on my tone that is really really cool to mess around with. Seems excessive for everyday use/regular gigging though....

18. Brazen

Brazen Member

I don't gig but I use two amps when I play my guitar. One is my Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack and the other my Fender Rumble 25 bass amp. I use my Roger Linn Adrenalinn III to run 'em. Most of the time I run the drums on the bass amp while I play through the BHHD. However, when I use some effects I switch to stereo and it's great.

williamsnrb likes this.
  19. stratton

stratton Member

Self indulgent? Seriously?

I personally feel that anything I can do to get a big, fat full sound, working within volume constraints, on the best gear available to me is the least I can do. I play better, sound better, have more fun, and that is a good thing for everyone at my shows.

20. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I find I actually like my playing more when I run in stereo on gigs, and I get more enjoyment from playing out.
    The fullness of the sound I'm hearing makes me noodle around and overplay less. I lay out more, let things breath because my tone is so much fuller sounding and I get into the songs more. I almost go into my own little world. A surrounded by stereo guitar world.

Most FOH systems are setup for stereo around here in the clubs and bars. It's the same system the Dj pumps his stereo dance music through on our breaks.