Please explain tonal diffs btween BIg muff pi and tonebender mk2

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
This is somewhat of a generalization, because of the different eras of the Big Muff. But a Big Muff will have a lot more low end, scooped midrange, and a bit more gain. They are a bit more wooly sounding. MKIIs have a leaner, more focused fuzz tone with more of an emphasis on the midrange than a Fuzz Face or Muff, but still have a spitty, fuzzy decay with more theremin/synth like overtones with sustained notes.

59Vampire

This is somewhat of a generalization, because of the different eras of the Big Muff. But a Big Muff will have a lot more low end, scooped midrange, and a bit more gain. They are a bit more wooly sounding. MKIIs have a leaner, more focused fuzz tone with more of an emphasis on the midrange than a Fuzz Face or Muff, but still have a spitty, fuzzy decay with more theremin/synth like overtones with sustained notes.

For a generalization that sounds very precise!!!! Thanks! ronsound hairpie, here i come!

re-animator

muff is definitely more mid-scooped. has more of a violin feel to it, while the tonebender might be a bit more of a brassy sound.

the tonebender falls square between the fuzzface and the big muff from my experience. I've had all 3, and i feel like I get my tonebender sounds from stacking a rangemaster with a fuzzface. My tonebender got dropped from my rig after I figured this out.

Trending Topics