Please forgive my lack of knowledge of amp circuitry, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nb_fan, Mar 5, 2008.

1. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I've been reading of a lot of people 'jumpering' their guitar signal from one amp to another (ie. plugging into input 1 of a fender deluxe reverb, and patching input 2 of the deluxe reverb into another amp like an AC15) and then playing through both of the amps to get a unique blending of the sounds. How exactly does that work? Does the signal bypass the initial amp? or would it get 'flavoured' first before moving to the second amp (ie. different than just using an ABY)

And would that work for pretty much any amp with two inputs? (eg. Marshall heads?)

Thanks,
    Nate

2. GuitaristZ

GuitaristZ Guest

I think you can just buy a Y cable splitter? I have no idea though...seems like a neat idea.

3. sws1

sws1 Member

It does not get flavored by the first amp. It is basically doing a Y connection. Not all amps can do this.

You can also slave an amp, which is completely different. You take an output of the first amp at the effects loop (for example) and then route that signal to the effects loop return of another amp. So in essence, the preamp of Amp 1 and the Power amp of Amp 2.

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I don't know about going from one amp to another but jumping the two channel inputs of an in phase old Fender works wonders for the sound: with a Bassman it lets you use both volumes to finesse a whole lot of tones, generally conferring far more crunch-value, I'd even say a whole crunch-value-added world of double-plus goodness . . . if that's what you're looking for.

If the two channels of the amp are out of phase (like my Vibroverb) jumping will result in a loss of certain freqs. Rumor has it that the Barbur Launch Pad is really good for just such situations.

5. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

Yeap, I've tried the 2 channel jumping thing with my Deluxe Reverb. different sounds for sure, lower headroom and nice grit - i didn't spend too much time with it though. I'm kind of looking to preserve my clean tones though, as the DR has enough (nice) problems with maintaining clean at higher volumes

I thought the two separate amps could get me more volume and more variety (1 clean + 1 dirty/od ?)

Just curious as to how the jumpering of the two amps in the non-Y split would work.