Please help: Best Marshall-esque combo under $800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hhmc, Jan 28, 2012.

1. hhmc

hhmc Member

I am going to buy a tube amp for home use. But I have a hard time thinking which one to get.

I like the classic marshall crunch and tone, so I want to buy an amp which can do the classic marshall tone well. I kinda want it to do classic rock tones like hendrix(plexi)/zeppelin/cream, or may be also EJ tone. And it should has a decent clean tone. I am considering these amps upon what I've read:

Traynor YCS50 - heard it can do marshall sound well

Marshall DSl 401 - it has many good reviews, but it has el84s, I doubt if it can really do the classic marshall sound well...

Marshall JCM 800 4210/4010 - also has many good reviews, but will there be too much gain for classic rock tones?

Marshall VM 2266 - used ones are sometimes under $800

I play an EJ strat and I plan to use this amp for home/studio. I hope it can deliver good sound at low volume. I wonder which of these amps fulfill my need best. Of course, any other suggestions are welcomed.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you very much!

2. 4styx

4styx Member

Welcome to TGP.
    From your list and the fact that you play a strat,I'd say the Vintage Modern would be your best bet.The good sound at low volume thing is probably going to involve a decent attenuator with any of those amps.
    Have you hear clips of the new 1watt Marshalls?

3. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Honestly, for home use and low volume? I'd get a modeler.

4. hhmc

hhmc Member

Thank you for your suggestion. I have seen some of the videos of the 1 watt amp, they actually sound quite good... but imo the 1-watt amps are too simple...they don't have enough tweakability for me...

Thank you for your suggestion, but tbh I'm not interested in modelers...I'd rather get an attenuator + a tube amp

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

Traynor YCS50 - heard it can do marshall sound well
    not familiar with this amp

Marshall DSl 401 - it has many good reviews, but it has el84s, I doubt if it can really do the classic marshall sound well...
    had a DSL201 for a while, it was my first tube amp and i loved it. for home use there's no need for the 401, especially since they have a rep for overheating issues. the clean channel cranked is better at classic sounds than the dirt channel iirc and if you plan to attenuate then this is an ok option as you can get one very cheap. you will want to change out the stock speaker. and in general don't pay attention to an amp's power tubes too much as it has much less to do with tone than you might think. go by what you hear.

Marshall JCM 800 4210/4010 - also has many good reviews, but will there be too much gain for classic rock tones?
    the 800 is a classic and is awesome. definitely need an attenuator as these are best turned up. and the gain is adjustable from 100% clean to hard rock. so no, there is definitely not too much gain for your needs. in fact it's better to keep the gain lower cuz then you can turn up the master a bit more.

Marshall VM 2266 - used ones are sometimes under $800
    not familiar with this amp

and i'm glad you don't want modellers. i hate modellers. but solid state or hybrid might be something to consider - the Marshall Artist for example. i heard one in person once and was very impressed.

6. tennisplayer

I have a JMP, owned a VM and a DSL as well. For home playing...they just don't give up the goods unless played loud. My Blackstar does pretty well. But my little modeler does the best for home use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYtpye6yGo

7. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

A Vintage Modern Combo or 50 watt head with WELL BROKEN IN GREENBACKS is awesome even at low volumes. I use one in the middle of the night often. It blows the 401 away. Like most good amps, though, it sounds even better when pushed.

8. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

9. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

sounds like you want a real tube amp,good call,funny how someone is convincing you to buy something you dont want

10. tennisplayer

Duhh, it's called a suggestion or recommendation. He wants that saturated Marshall crunch at home volume, thus.....a modeler....as that is what they are designed for.

11. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

^ or he could just, y'know, get a higher gain tube amp with a good master volume :dunno

12. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

Right at $800, Guitar Center has been placing some Egnater Tourmaster Combo's, on demo sale. This is an incredibly versatile piece of stage as well as home gear. Regardless of what you may have read, the 100watt combo is capable of copping Marshally tones in varying wattage levels, from three of it's four channels. It also yields some amazing Fender style cleans that won't be coaxed from any Marshall.

13. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I feel like any decent quality mid-range tube combo along with a Crunch Box will get you pretty *darn* close.

Peavey Classic (30/50),
    Fender Hot Rod (Deluxe/Deville),
    that sorta thing...

The Crunch Box does Marshall really well.

14. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

How about a Marshall Haze 40 combo?

15. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

this is the correct answer.

16. gulliver

gulliver Member

For build quality, investment, and especially tone, you just can't beat the JCM800 single channels.

17. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

pv classic 30 may soothe ya.

18. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i bought a used valvetech vac50 several years ago at that price point. you might be able to find one used and you would end up with a very versatile handwired ptp amp that covers a lot of territory.

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

For strictly home use, Class 5 wins on account of tone, price and practicality.

Don't expect to gig in a hard rock band with it, though.

20. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member