Please Help!! Celestion Greenback or the Vintage 30 (England not China)???

Cmward7029

Hey all,
I need some help from people who actually have either of these speakers. I bought a late 60's Fender cab that has some terrible replacement speakers in it and I'm going to swap them out. I was think of putting in one Greenback and one vintage 30 (made in England not China). The head is a '68 Bassman drip edge AB165 circuit. I play older blues type stuff but I guess it would be more like the older black keys stuff. I use a lot of different vintage fuzz pedals. I want to have that vintage sound...nothing too punchy but nothing to muddy either. I welcome your opinions. Thanks all!!

lowpaygigs

The v30 is likely to over power that GB. Per your description, two greenbacks will serve you nicely. Sometimes simple is better.

Agree with dughaze. Plus, why no Chinese? I have owned and played both Chinese greenbacks and v30s and English versions. After some blind testing, I actually prefer the Chinese versions.

Yeah, what's the difference with Eng and China other than the price? If the materials are the same, take advantage of the price break. One day China labor won't be so cheap, and then people will complain about that..

Cmward7029

So I'm going to go with greenbacks...I've seen 25 watts and 30 watts...I'm a bit naive when it comes to speakers being that I've never messed with speakers and cabs...always had combos. Recommendations? Does it have anything to do with the head? Thanks guys

retrobob

The G12H 30w Greenback is one of my favorite speakers. Hard to beat.
These are not to be confused with the "vintage 30s"

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I use a Celestion G12M Greenback (Chinese) with my Fargen Micro Plex. Maybe there's a difference between that and the UK version, I don't know. Mine sounds great. As to the OP, a lot of people pair the Greenback (G12M) with the G12H30. I have a Chinese made one of the G12H30's too. Back in the 70's - 80's I had a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. I'm good with the Chinese ones I have today.

Another great speaker (IMO) is the Hellatone A25 ALNICO from Avatar. I use that with a Fender Tweed/Brownface voiced amp.

mcdyas

Gold Supporting Member
Friedman loads their 4x12s with 2 Greenbacks on top and 2 V30s on the bottom. I tried the combination in a 2x12 and it works well. In my case it is 2 16 Ohm speakers wired in parallel.

Trending Topics