• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Please Help Find a Distortion Pedal?

matt1969

I need a Distortion pedal that will work with single coil pickups into my Marshall Plexi.

I been using a Rat for years but it doesn't have the bottom end I want & when I finally get it to sound decent, it's too loud when I turn it on.

I also tried a EH Big Muff.

Any ideas? :dunno

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
How much gain do you need on tap?

I really like the VFE Dark Horse, Black Arts Black Forest and Quantum Mystic and the new Egnater pedals (Goldsmith, Silversmith) sound really promising.

Lele

Matt, you didn't say for what style, how much gain...
Without knowing more, I'd suggest to check some youtube videos about:
Hardwire SC-2 Valve distortion
Xotic BB preamp (and its clones...)
I think it's also easy to find them second-hand, and to sell them if you don't like the result for your music and your gear system.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
MXR Super Badass Distortion has received great reviews across the board ... very affordable ... from an Overdrive Sound to Metal ... and a nice EQ built-in for Flexibility.

I don't have one but I was very temped and tried one out earlier this summer.

matt1969

Sorry I wasn't more specific....I play mostly covers from classic rock of the 60s & 70s, 80 hard rock / heavy metal, 90s alternative, Blues Rock, Punk......

I tried every Rat mod I could find - no go. I tried tube screamers & a Boss SD1. They sound good for tightening up humbuckers but I'd like to play heavy distortion with Strats.

When I play my LP Standard or Home made Superstrat, I usually don't use anything but the amp.

matt1969

I must add that I have a problem with output. It seems that with every distortion pedal I try, I reach unity with the pedal's volume barely on. This makes it impossible to get a pedal to open up & do its job. Sucks big time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom