Please help ID this small 40's(?) amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kctx2, Aug 2, 2008.

1. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Has a coated denim type material, volume only. Three tubes, 50l6, 12sq7 and not sure of the last tube, probably 50xx. The pics make it look MUCH worse than it is, not nearly as much the rust as it appears.
    Looks like a 40's guitar practice amp, too small for a PA amp.

Thank-you, for your time and your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Funny, my dog left one of those in my yard just two hours ago when I took him out.

It sounds ok, but then I put some kickass NOS tubes in it and man, it freaking ROARED with authority.

3. hogy

hogy Member

Don't plug this in. It is an amp without power transformer, running directly off of wall voltage. That is very dangerous to begin with, much more so in an amp in as bad a condition as that one.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

What about the giant power transformer on the right?

5. kctx2

kctx2 Member

Thanks for the replys!
    I have no intention of plugging it in, in its current state. I am just trying to ID the manufacturer and the approx year. Any ideas???
    Thanks again

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I don't know the manufacturer, but it is probably late 1940 - early 1950s. The reasoning is that is looks like all octal (8 pin) sockets. The switch to 9 pin sockets in the later 1950s was very widespread. It is not using a field coil speaker (mostly 30 - early 1940s amps).

My guess is it was probably a smaller amplifier company, maybe even something somewhat local. Probably made to amplifier a microphone or musical instrument. Doesn't look to be something for radio use.

7. scott58

scott58 Member

It would be kinda cool to build a replica of that thing using all new goodies and a 10 or 12" speaker.

8. bek

bek Member

Reminds me of my old Regal lap-steel amp. Made in Chicago, my tech told me probably in the 1950s. Mine has one more tube and cap, but also just the one knob, and all controls and wires only in and out the back.

9. hogy

hogy Member

I don't know that that is a power transformer. Typically, when the tube voltages (50+50+12) add up to around 110V, it indicates a power transformer-less design.

10. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

My guess would be a Silvertone or Harmony from the '40s through mid '50s. The cabinet looks like a Nat Daniel design. It looks like it might pre-date Danelectro, but Daniel was designing amps back in the '30s for other companies (Epiphone).

11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

There isn't really anything else it could be. The addition of filaments is not always equal to no power transformer, nor do we even know if those are the correct tubes. Amps with no power transformer have no need for a giant piece of iron like that. All we need is a picture of the inside of the chassis to tell.

Nathan Daniel did build beautiful amplifiers for Epiphone up until 1945. His Danelectro designs were different, but also quality builds. That doesn't have the look of a Nat Daniels design or build. It's a bit less elegant, less refined. Could be some sort of very early Valco made amp.