Please help identify this Gibson LPJ (newer)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JWK, Mar 24, 2015.

1. JWK

JWK Member

So I'm in my local shop today and I see this used, plain slab LP type Gibson guitar. It has no markings on the truss rod cover, plain red stain on mahogany, mahogany neck (unlike last year's maple), humbuckers with black open coils and a wrap around bridge, but not the lightening. Just the plain round bar type like the 50s type.

I went home and called the store and they said it was an LPJ but they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me anything more. I'll go back in later this week and get the number, but meanwhile, could anyone tell me what this model is? I've only seen wrap around bridges on LPJs with P90s, never with buckers. All the recent LPJs I've seen have also only had the lightening style wrap around, never the plain bar.

They also had two from last year's stock. I could tell from the 12th fret inlay. I played all three unplugged (the store was pretty quiet) and there was no doubt the older used one was way better.For me this might be a very good alternative to an SG. That's the rational I'm using for today. I think I'll have to think of a better one for my wife...

Anyway, is anyone here familiar with this particular variant of the LPJ and from what year(s) they were made?

You can help enable with information. Thanks!

2. JWK

JWK Member

I don't know how to edit thread titles, or if you can.

It's a Les Paul Special, of course. Why do I listen to store salesmen? I suddenly got the genius idea: Hey, let's look at eBay...

No pick guard, 60s style neck. I'll find out the year when I get the serial number.

But as long as we're here: How do these compare to SGs? They are awfully low cost in comparison. Are they cutting corners on wood? Anyone know?

3. Turi

Turi Member

It depends on the SG.

In all fairness - SGs and LPs (or LPJs) are completely different beasts though - the two feel absolutely nothing alike.

Some people might say that SGs are brighter sounding than an LP - I find that to be a bit of a stretch since the actual sound of the guitar is more like the different pickups, strings, pedals (or not), amp (or modeller) etc etc.

So you can really only compare how they actually feel imo. Especially when they're both humbuckers.

The LPJ will be a whole lot heavier than the SG, and it'll also have less access to the higher frets.

You'll really need to try both. They're not the same at all.

There is no cutting corners on an SG unless it's an SGJ.

SGs are cheaper because they're thinner - honestly. The same SG model as an LP will have all the same bling, all the same coats of finish, same pickups or whatever.

They are not a lesser guitar in any way to an LP - they cost less purely because they're thinner, so less wood.

Try them both! You might find the lighter SG totally doesn't work for you! Or you might find the weightier LP to be a bit of a pain in the ribs!

4. JWK

JWK Member

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I didn't express myself very well with the SG comparison. I can't get on with SGs. They're just TOO light for me. I like hearing them when other people play them, but when I play them myself it just doesn't grab me. There always seems to be something missing that *I* want to hear when I'm playing, if that makes any sense.

So I picture the LP special in question as sort of a possible in-between, or a heavy SG, if you will. The LP special in question has considerably less wood than an LP, but significantly more than an SG. Ergonomically this particular version of the LP special could not be in better for me in terms of balance and weight.

So that is why I asked about the quality of wood and why the special is so much less expensive than a comparable SG. Perhaps there is no comparable SG, and that's your point. These specials are bare bones. Not even a pick guard. I don't care about the cheap hardware, tuners and finish. I only care about the wood. I admit it: I suck at judging guitars in a store, especially when I'm GASSING. I always know within a week when I've made a mistake. And I've made a lot. My critical listening doesn't seem to turn on until I'm home for a day or two and then it's,"oh.....oh, ****....."

Maybe a better question would be: Anyone here have any experiences with these recent (let's say past 10 years) specials? Tell me about it.

Thanks!

5. Turi

Turi Member

There is an SG Special - fantastic guitar, used to have P90's, now they've got humbuckers.
    I only have some experience with the more recent humbucker versions.

If they're anything like the LP Special - just a stripped back version - then you're getting basically everything you need from it.

The SG Special doesn't have block inlays, binding up the neck, or as many coats of nitro or whatever - no pickguard either. But that's about where the differences lie.

Totally getting 100% same sounds you would from an SG Standard with the Special, it just looks (and feels) stripped back. I prefer the stripped back feel to be honest.

If the LP Special is like the SG Special - total killer guitar. Everything you need from a Standard for a way cheaper price.

I have no experience with LP Specials though - but the SG Special doesn't have cheap hardware or tuners! It's all the same as a Standard, seriously.

I'm pretty sure they actually ARE made with a lesser quality wood though, if that's a big deal to you then whatever, it's not to me. I can't hear the wood, lol. Also can't feel the wood under any coats of nitro or satin or anything anyway.

You should take care though - you say you can't get along with the SG sound - there is no such thing as an SG sound. It's all about the pickups, amp and everything else.
    The actual shape of the guitar used doesn't make a difference to the sound.
    Perhaps it was the pickups in whatever SG you've tried in the past. Might want to find out what those were, and make sure they aren't in the LP Special.

6. Mr. Mukuzi O

Mr. Mukuzi O Member

I've seen one like that, the body is multiple pieces of wood with a 1/4 inch veneer cover back and front. I`m thinking I may grab it once I`ve paid the hamer off

7. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member