Please help me choose a combo to replace my Blues Jr....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pak1001, Feb 4, 2020.

1. pak1001

pak1001 Member

2. Pick'n'strum

Pick'n'strum Member

Based on what you said, I think you'd prefer the Marshall. I've only played the DSL40C but think it's a fantastic amp for the price. Only small thing is the reverb is a bit weak (and I also think it's digital if that matters to you) - but it works just fine. No experience with Bugera, I kind of avoid them; for some reason I associate them with reliability issues - others can may be chime in on that.

3. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

I have the DSL20 head, I believe the combo version would come pretty close to what you're describing.

4. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

If my only two choices are Marshall and Bugera, I go with the Marshall by default. Bugera has been noted for reliability issues. They sound ok when working...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Member

Fender Supersonic? Sleeper amp IMO that does what you're asking for.

HeavyCream likes this.
  6. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

With the Marshall, you’ll get better dirt but the reverb will be sorely lacking. Not sure how important that is to you. Also, depending, on your taste, you may find the BJr cleans much better than the DSL. It’s a trade off. All depends on what’s more important to you.

The V22 is a really sweet sounding amp imho. Especially for the price.

Here’s a couple you might want to consider.

Fender Bassbreaker 15
    VHT 12/20RT (tube driven spring reverb and tremolo, hand wired, MIC)
    Laney Cub 12R
    Peavey C30 or C20MH (C30 has spring reverb, C20 has digital verb and is a head but 20/5/1w)
    Joyo Beale Street (no verb, 5E3 clone, MIC, tube rectifier, great for Petty and swampy Tweed blues)

Also, your budget is damn close to used PRRI prices. Heck of a home/practice rig with a couple pedals.

one4five likes this.
  7. middy

middy Member

Might as well keep the bjr imo, unless you raise your budget a bit or you can find something good used.

HeavyCream likes this.
  8. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Member

Why do you want to replace the Blues Junior? Is it lacking something?

9. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Just thought of another really good one. Traynor YCV20. It’s actually 15w. Spring verb. Comes stock with a Greenback iirc. Awesome sounding amps and built tough as well. Can do USA and Brit stuff. Cheap too.

Laney VC15 is another one that does both sides of the Atlantic well for a budget tube amp.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  10. one4five

one4five Member

Sorry, but used Classic 30. You won't do better than that for your budget, imho. You could do a Vox AC15 for a lot of Petty stuff, but I'm guessing since you mention the Allmans you're not going for that sound. Get a Classic 30. ;-)

HeavyCream likes this.
  11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I saw an amp called artist and if it truly sounds like the way it sounds in the videos, it should be a winner.

12. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and a 1x12 cab or add a 1x12 cab to the Blues Jr.

A sensitive speaker and 1x12 cab will add volume, headroom and take the boxyness, out of an undersized combo cabinet.

If you leave the original speaker in the Blues Jr, then you have the flexibility and option of the cab. This is less expensive than buying a new amp.

YMMV

13. TS808

TS808 Member

Blackstar HT20R Mkii. Close to the Marshall in tone and can be bought new at $599.

14. Zooey

Zooey Member

Depends on what you don't like about the Blues Junior.

15. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

V22 is amazing with pedals! It shines with single coils. I’ve played the Marshall and owned a BJ and v22,if you like cleans with pedals I’d get the bug, miles better than a BJ

16. klapaucjusz1

klapaucjusz1 Member

I second that opinion. Recently I played a Blues Jr and a Princeton 68 in a store and the Princeton sounded amazing compared to the Blues Jr. But the Princeton does not fulfill all of your criteria.

17. e???

e??? Member

Used bassbreaker 15. Also, I've learned that reverb should not be a selling point when looking at amps. You want a good sounding amp. Easy to add reverb later with a pedal or output tank, but reverb isn't as necessary as I thought.

one4five and HeavyCream like this.
  18. badger51

badger51 Member

Used Rivera Clubster 45. Light, two channel, foot switchable reverb and channels . Loud clean and master on the overdrive channel.

19. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

agree. i'd even take a Peavey Valveking over a Bugera any day. Classic 30 seems to be what you want

one4five likes this.
  20. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

If you want to stick with Fender, a Bassbreaker 30R or Hot Rod Deluxe or DRRI even could probably be found used $600-$700 range. I would also consider a Marshall DSL or EVH lunchbox amp. Lots of solid state options as well.