Please help me choose my next Fuzz Face type pedal

logen99999

Folks, I've gotten myself into this fuzz face obsession since playing my swaptronics hybrid fuzz and i'd love to get some advice on what to spend my money on next.

Basically I forgot how amazing a fuzz face is. When it's completely dimed you control everything from your guitar. Rolling off the volume cleans up into a glassy spanky gorgeous tone, full open it's a really thick wall of sound with great finger response. When the tone is rolled off it darkens the tone but still lets it be totally usable. The fuzz face seems to be way more usable and versatile than most overdrive pedals i've ever used. The in-between slightly dirty fuzz face tones are really really cool. I can see myself playing a show with just the fuzz face engaged and using my volume to go from clean, to slightly dirty, to full on leads.

Here's what i'm looking for in a fuzz face.
-Prefer no LED since it reduces battery longevity
-Germanium
-The ability to clean up into a clean or slightly broken glassy tone.
-Works well with a les paul.

Right now i'm considering.
-B.Y.O.C E.S.V Fuzz Face build
-Fulltone 69 germanium fuzz
-Way Huge Havalina Germanium Fuzz
-Dunlop Joe Banomasa Fuzz Face
-Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
-Cheapo no-name Fuzz Face clones I see on reverb.

I would love to buy the SunFace by Analogman but the price disqualifies it for me.

Memphistokid

Oxfuzz pedal (I have version2 myself) and Foxrox CC Hybrid. Both have bias knobs, sound awesome, and clean up well (although i would say the Ox much more than the Hybrid). They keep kicking each other off the board temporarily.

Last edited:

Guitarbrett

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried quite a few and currently own an Analogman Sunface with cv7005 transistors as well as all of the Dunlop signatures. I have loved them all, but the AM with cv7005 transistors has been the best IMO.

logen99999

I pulled the trigger on the Fulltone 69 Mk2. Looking forward to playing the hell out of it. I feel like this Fuzz face rabbit hole is a deep and expensive journey. I'm way more into it then my OD pedal search.

We'llDoItLive

I'm on the same journey. I too would like a SunFace, but it's definitely price-prohibitive.

I play a semi-dirty marshall (slightly more than AC/DC level of gain). Here's what I've tried in reverse chronological order:

Current: Bonamassa mini fuzz - lots of shades with the volume knob and is still articulate with humbuckers. I run the volume + fuzz both around 80%. I also backed the internal bias trimmer down a hair, which improved tightness and clarity: it was a little woofy before I did this. I had been missing the germanium, rounded and slightly mid-pushed sound - I'm pretty happy with it! You could get a big JB fuzz and rehouse it to get around the LED issue as well.
1. Solidgold FX If 6 was 9 BC183CC - Really good sound, but tended to get lost in the mix for me. It cleans up ok, and you can get awesome crunchy sounds with the guitar volume @ 7. The external bias knob was pretty useful, but the further counterclockwise you go, the more compensatory eq was needed to help the sound not disappear.
2. FoxRox CC Hybrid - Sounds really good, articulate. Less gain and less mids.
3. Fulltone '69 mk II - versatile, can play with various guitars and amp settings, but lacked definition in the high strings.
4. Big stock red germanium Dunlop Fuzz - My first fuzz... if I had the knowledge at the time to just slap an EQ after it, I probably wouldn't have sold it!

Memphistokid

Havana is also an awesome choice too. I love the Tonebender-ISH tone as it helps cut through the live mix. I have it and because of its different flavor I definitely considered dropping it onto my board as my 2nd fuzz permanently, but our band called for only 1 song with a fuzz. Damnit....

JVJ

I have the Analogman NKT275. It fits your description, but isn't readily available anymore.
The Eric Johnson doesn't clean up as well and sounds quite different.

You might want to consider the Keeley Fuzz Head as well. They sound good, have si/ge switch and are readily available for cheap if you shop used.

bluesoul

I have the Analogman NKT275. It fits your description, but isn't readily available anymore.

You might want to consider the Keeley Fuzz Head as well. They sound good, have si/ge switch and are readily available for cheap if you shop used.

It is readily available...sort of. In the form of a cv7005. if you read the Sunface page it is explained. I have both and can say that only doing the A/B thing can I hear a very slight difference and that difference is so subtle it is not worh talking about.

logen99999

Sun face NKT is prohibitively expensive at around $400. For me at least. I make that in one good week of gigging.

tubekingsley

Fuzz Phrase is the shiznit IMO
I recently acquired a JAM Fuzz Phrase- it's an outstanding pedal. With the fuzz knob set low, it's still fairly heavy, and has a vintage style sound. Turn the fuzz knob up, it gets brighter and more focused. It has big presence, and string clarity. Excellent clean up, as well...

Last edited:

bluesoul

Sun face NKT is prohibitively expensive at around $400. For me at least. I make that in one good week of gigging.

CV7005 Sunface is a current offering and it won't be $400.00! I think 250.00-260.00??? If you want a NKT275 but the price is turning you away...CV7005 will do just as well. Pretty much the same thing.....Mullard made tranny, but rebranded by Newmarket. There are a couple threads about them.

I found the EJ dark and lacking output for my tastes.

Hugh DaMann

I don't know if you saw the thread I started last weekend, but lots of great advice can be found.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fuzz-face-to-end-all-fuzz-faces.1772790/

I had a Bonamassa Mini, which I just sold. I would have hung on to it, but I'm trying to be responsible and sell almost as much as I buy. :) It's really good, especially with humbuckers. The clean up is great and the fuzz is smooth.

As you can see from the thread, I bought an Oxfuzz II Ge, which showed up yesterday. I just was checking it out with my 339 and it was glorious. It's big and wooly and it may take a little work getting it to play with my Les Paul a little better, but there's much more gain and volume on tap than with the Bonamassa and it just seems to be in a different league. It also exhibits much lower noise than any Ge fuzz I've played. The real test is playing with a band, but so far (and it hasn't been long) I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Good luck!

Judas68fr

My 2 cts: Ge Fuzz Face and Les Pauls are difficult to pair. After a long journey trying to find the best FF for me, I found out that I loved BC108 Fuzz Faces better (and I think that Ge FF are a bit overrated), but a friend of mine who's only playing LPs has a London BC183 and they sound great together. His guitar has very low output humbuckers, think hotrodded Tele.

I've owned a few Ge FF (Hartman NKT275, a 2SBXXX Sunface, Fulltone 69), and that BC183 really has that Ge feel to it, with a tad more gain, and less "woofy" and "boomy" (that's my main complain about Ge FF). Cleans up really nicely (but honestly, all the Si FF I've had cleaned up as well as Ge ones).

71strat

Best Silicon Fuzz for the $$ is a Used Roger Mayer Voodoo Axe.

Its the modern recreation of the Fuzz Mayer designed for Hendrix starting on Axis Bold as Love. He also still makes the Original Axis, but this 1 has the same basic circuit with added benefit of 2 buffers, x 1 True Byppass Functions, + its a Fuzz that also has EQ Control via Fatness Knob.

Also these pedals work equally well with Humbuckers, or single Coils, and all of the annoying stuff has been engineered out of them, for noise free operation, and striking note definition, considering its a Fuzz.

A guy on Reverb in Canada has a used/ Excellent 1 for sale ( NO AFFILIATION ) for $145 + $20 Shipping USD.

You wont beat this Fuzz for $165. + it has 2 buffers x 1 x TBP. Its a $319 pedal new.

ogguitar

I really liked the Quinnamp Fuzz Petal, but it's silicon and has been discontinued for a couple years. Definitely worth checking out though if you can track one down. Out of curiosity, are you using a Vox-style amp?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom