Please help me choose my next low gain drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

I am a low gain, warm, edge of breakup and slightly beyond, with lots of clarity and then cascading drives for more gain or controlling with volume knob into clean Fender amps kinda guy. I am considering a few pedals for my next drive. Please help by either selecting one or two of those listed as the top in your opinion, or by ranking them. Commentary is welcome. Tim/Timmy are not being considered at this time, so no votes for that please, just what's on the list. For your consideration, I currently run a Keely Fuzz Head > Beano Boost > OCD > Shannon Distortion > AM TS Silver > AM TS Brown as my gain stage.
    Here's the list:

HBE DosMos
    Crowther Bluesberry Hot Cake
    Keeley Katana Boost
    Barber LTD/LTD Silver
    Blackstone Distortion
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine
    Super Chili Picoso
    Sogrado Poblano Picoso
    Lovepedal COT 50 (at bottom due to lack of availability at this time)
    Foxrox ZIM (at bottom due to overlap with tubescreamers)

Thanks all!

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine If you are looking for a timmy-like low gainer, this is a no brainer. :) OR just get on the timmy list!!!!!!
    Super Chili Picoso *BOOST
    Sogrado Poblano Picoso *BOOST

4. drolling

drolling Member

Where would you get a Bluesberry at this time? Everywhere I've checked is out of stock, or only carrying the original hotcake. This pedal interests me too, as I've got an AC15 that's notoriously picky about the pedals I put in front of it & everybody seems to think that Crowther's stuff is made for Vox amps.

The only pedal on your list that I have any experience with is the silver LTD. It does have a TS vibe, w/mid hump & bass cut, but it's nice to have 2 tone controls & those trim pots inside will let you do further tweaking if necessary. I don't know how much better you can do than $119 and no waiting..

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

COT50 is about the best there is for responding to guitars volume pot..

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

Nice Rhyme, derek-32999. Drolling, the Bluesberry appears to be in stock right now on the dreaded Musictoyz site. Liquid Sunshine does look very interesting, but I've never heard anyone mention it before, I just sorta found it online. And I should probably clarify that boosters are OK for this list also, as a lot of the time, that's all the overdrive I like to use, although I do go into the mid-level drive range sometimes (Shannon Distortion).
    No one for the DosMos or Blackstone?

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Don't forget the Clark/Barber Gainster. I got mine this week and it nails those Fender tweed tones ala The Stones and Black Crowes. Of course the almighty Klon is also way cool and so 3 dimensional in its width and sweetening at low gain settings and clean boost.

8. Craise

Craise Member

Strange you would not consider a TIM or TIMMY. Because it does exactly what your looking for and IMHO and many many others...it's better than all the OD's you've listed.

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

+1.

10. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blues Pro or Tim/Timmy, IMO...

If the Liquid Sunshine is in the ballpark of the Timmy, then I guess that's what I'd pick. I don't think it has the same EQ flexibility though - could be wrong...

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

I already had the opportunity to talk to Paul and explain to him, as I will now to all of you guys, that the reason Tim is not on the list and I have asked that it not be suggested, is that I already know everything I need to know about Tim/Timmy, and I am DEFINITELY getting one. It's these other pedals that I have questions about, and need some comparisons of them specifically.
    It is no knock on Tim, I can't wait to get one of those, but the next pedal will come from the list I provided.
    Thanks all

12. erksin

erksin Member

Then I'd recommend the Hot Cake Bluesberry - completely different animal than the Tim/Timmy and most if not all of the pedals you listed, should add some nice variety to what you already own IMO...

If you like the OCD, I think you'll LOVE the Hotcake - cleans up with your volume knob as good or better than the OCD, and has a smoother OD character.

13. Craise

Craise Member

Right on..why didn't you just say that!
    :BEER
    Yeah go for something different...the Hotcake would be the most different from your list.

I have to say though if you have the $ Honey Bee is pretty sweet.
    :horse

14. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

1. Liquid Sunshine: One of the nicest light overdrives I've ever tried, bar none. Though it doesn't have a dedicated EQ knob, there are two drive knobs, one controls the full frequency of breakup the other the mids and highs...very effective. Great pedal.
    2. Hotcake: I haven't tried the Bluesberry (just bought one though...it's on the way), but I've had the original and it's a great pedal. Lots of people like it for it's light OD and clean boost, I think it's higher gain stuff is great as well. Tons of harmonics....cleans up nicely.
    Those are my suggestions. Good luck!

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

Does anyone want to take a stab at ranking the list?
    Or ranking the pedals from the list that you have tried?
    Feel free to include the drivers I already have for comparison.

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

I'm sorry, I had to bump this, i'm really trying to figure out how to spend my money. Last time, I promise. :eek:

17. boon

boon Member