PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE..OCD or Barber DD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi Guys,

I need some help.
    I am bouncing back and forth between the OCD and the Barber DD.
    I don't play metal, but I like to have a range available that goes from say a slight crunch to a heavy Hendrix type of gain.
    I use a Jeckyll & Hyde now and I'm not sure if it is doing me all the justice it can.
    I have never played with an OCD or a Barber DD, but they come recommended...so I need help/advice on the two
    Thanks, Mass

2. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Well, it does depend on your guitar and amp. I only the own the Barber DD, and I can say it's a GREAT pedal. It won't do the Hendrix high gain fuzz, at least not without help from another source. But for a crunch type of tone with lots useable of gain on tap, it is killer.

Not owning an OCD, but having seriously looked into it, I can specualte that the OCD is more of a distortion, while the DD is an overdrive.

What type of musical styles are you trying to apply these to?

Cheers.

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I Play a strat w/ CS 69's into a Marshall 1959 SLP RI.
    The effects I would use with the OCD or the Barber are a fulltone '69, Baja tech Das Fuzz SI.
    I do like at least the potential for a heavier gain on tap if I need it. I play alot of Hendrix.
    I hope that help you, and thanks for helping me.
    Mass

4. Ken

Ken Member

The one area where my Barber DD really shines is the classic rock overdrive type of tone...

Listen to Steve Lukather the guitarist for Toto and you will get an idea where the DD tone can come into play...I think the way I have the DD set up with the internal trimmers, gives me a Steve Lukather type guitar sound into my Suhr Strat, but thats just my ears...IMHO

Also another tune where the DD shines is that ZZ Top tune, "Gimmie All Your Lovin". The DD with the tone knob pulled up gives out some nice harmonics for a tune like that.

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks...that really helps out.
    I love that ZZ top tone as well.
    Can you tell me how it interacts with fuzz boxes?
    I have yet to hear how the OCD or the DD interacts with fuzz.
    Also A big concern is which one is more single coil friendly.

Thanks,
    Mass

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

I have both pedals and prefer the Direct Drive. The OCD has a killer AC/DC crunch, but it can get mushy (in the HP position) after about 1:00 on the gain knob. It also doesn't have as much sustain as I think it should have for the amount of crunch. Notes seem to die out, whereas the DD seems to have a gob of sustain.

The OCD is also a little too responsive to me. It cleans up too soon for me on the volume knob. T

The OCD might work better with the rig you're using though. I have a Maxon SD9, and have never been able to get it set right with my rig. I use open back combos. A couple of weeks ago I set in with some friends and brought my pedal board and guitar and plugged into a Carvin MTS head/ Carvin 4x12 and the SD9 sounded incredible thru that set up. I'm thinking that a closed back cabinet might make a world of difference with the OCD also.

Here's a vid clip a guy on the Huge Racks board posted with the Direct Drive
    http://homepage.mac.com/mentoneman/make%20your%20home.wmv

Here's the thread where he posted it and explains what he is using
    http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23734&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

7. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Boy thanks for all the help here....tough decision, that's for sure.
    It almost sounds like you get a better but more subtle gain and sustain with the Barber DD, but you get tons of bottom, more gain and responsiveness with the OCD.:jo

Mama mia!
    I still say that either would be a tonal cut above the Jeckyll & Hyde though....
    Peace,
    Mass

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello there,

I have heard many great things about your pedals.
    What I am trying to do, is impliment a certain amount of drive into my amp, and mix that with a touch of fuzz for a 60' distorted /fuzz sound.
    My amp doesn't brake up to much, as it has alot of headroom.
    I am using a strat w/ CS 69's into a Marshall 1959 SLP. 1960 lead cab.with (ducking) Celestion G1275's
    The Hendrixian flavor will come from the guitar, PUPs, SLP and the GE and SI Fuzzes I use.
    The only issue left is choosing the right OD to accompany the Fuzz pedals. I need an articulate OD w/ alot of gain on tap (not metal type) that will let me also get heavier if I want to as well...say up to an AC/DC/ Zepplin range of heavy.
    I play for my own pleasure, and sometimes I can open the amp up alot, but alot of my playing is lower volume so hence the need to push the fuzz.
    I hope I explained that well, and thank you for your time and efforts,
    Mass

9. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I actually prefer the Barber DD as it sounds a bit more transparent, and is really great for classic rock (as was said before)....I actually owned the Direct Drive SS which gives you a bit more features, but still a lot alike. My Direct Drive SS sounded amazing through my Bad Cat Cub IIR!

10. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

McSoappy,
    Isn't a bad cat an EL-84 amp that has a snarl to begin with?
    I'm using a plexi so it's inherently cleaner in comparison.
    I wonder if the DD w/ your cat is a killer combo for gain/ dist., where I fear I may need something stronger for the plexi.
    It's tempting becuase the DD sounds so tempting, but if it falls short of the gain I need, i'll have to get another pedal.
    Thanks,
    Mass

11. Figher53

Figher53 Member

I've never played the OCD, but I can tell you that you won't be short of gain (since you don't play metal) with the DD. I actually use it most of the time with the push-pull pot down and the drive knob around 11 o'clock. I find it doesn't compress too much in that position, and it's more than enough sustain to keep me happy for rhythm and most lead work. If I want more, I step on a modded TS-9 in front of it.

I've owned my fair share of distortion/overdrive pedals, and the DD is my personal favorite. If you're reading this, David B, thanks for making a GREAT pedal at a reasonable price point.

12. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW I A/B'ed A new DD with my crunch box. Alot of gain in the DD. more open sounding that the CB IMO and "grainier" than the OCD

13. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

My Bad Cat Cub IIR has the cleanest sound in the world, it was basically a country amp clean. Really clear and pristine, there wasn't much gain to it.